Moving to Albany WA

Guest Fiona Burdett

Guest Fiona Burdett

Hi, My husband has been offered a job in Albany on a 4 year contract and we are flying out on 9th Oct. Has anyone been there that can give us some general info on the place, I have looked up on numerous sites but think the best people to ask are visitors. It looks fantastic and very much my cup of tea with the ocean and wildlife but would love to hear from anyone with useful info for us. We have 3 daughters who are 14, 12 and 10 and have been trying to find out about schools but info is limited on some sites.

Many thanks

Fiona

Guest Bag End Bunch

Hi Fiona. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I'm sure there will be people who can give you some information - keep bumping this post up.

I can't really give you any 'proper' info about areas/schools etc but when we were in WA a couple of years ago we visited Albany briefly and really liked it. Fabulous beach (shame we were there August!) and chance of spotting migrating whales. Seemed like a friendly place and we stayed in a great B & B and ate at a very nice restaurant - name escapes me but if I remember I'll post it!

Oh - just remembered - it was Tanglehead brewery.

Anyway - good luck with the move - bet you're in a packing and organising frenzy! :spinny:

Alex

Guest Alex & Kris

Hi Fiona

We r moving to Albany to, my sister & her mob out there. Will gladly chat about it a bit later or pm u, only popped on here quick & got to pop out b4 school run.

Chat soon Kris :wubclub:

Guest Fiona Burdett

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the warm welcome and reply and nice to hear positive things about an area you are moving to. Where are you living now?

We have had to move out of our house and into rented so had to move twice but luckily we have the packers to do it next time thank god!! lol Really not my favorite part of moving! We are also bringing our 2 German Shepherds over with us so yes things abit manic here at the moment as we have leaving party on 4th then have to take dogs to kennels on 6th, packers 7th & 8th and then fly out on the 9th Oct so won't have time to think which may not be a bad thing haha.

Anyway thanks again for the reply and hope to chat again sometime.

Take care

Fiona

Guest Fiona Burdett

Hi Kris,

Thanks for taking the time to post me with the school run looming!

When do you move to Albany then? We as I think i have said are flying over on the 9th so will be there for the 10th.... My hubby Karl is happy as he celebrates his 40th on the 13th so that's his present.... lukcy really as ive not bought him anything yet! haha.

Look forward to talking to you again and hearing all about it.

Take care

Fiona

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Albany Gateway

Hello Fiona,

Have you visited the Albany Gateway website? I am the manager of the site and came across your post. If you have any questions about what is in Albany I am happy to help you out.

Albany Gateway is the community web portal that has information about Albany and the surrounding Great Southern region. It has links to businesses and community organisations as well as a community calendar and other lifestyle interests. The Albany Gateway blog also has an ask a local page.

Regards, Debbie McBride

Guest Fiona Burdett

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for your post and appreciate your help. I have looked at that site and some others but gets abit mind boggling with all the info but sure I will find out soon enough as we fly out 9th Oct so not long now to experience Albany for real!

Its nice to know there is a network of people willing to help and makes it nice to have friendly people to chat to when so far from home.

Thanks again

Fiona

• 1 month later...
Guest maryalbanywa

hi fiona,

hopre you are starting to get settled in albany. i emigrated to australia 7 years ago from the uk. lived in perth for 4 years and was not happy moved to albany 3 years ago and i love it here. great peopl very friendly town fantastic beaches. if you need to know any thing or would like to catch up for a cuppa send us an email.

mary

Archived