electrician moving to oz

Guest bruceyboy

Guest bruceyboy

Hi im an electrician and looking to move to oz but am unsure if my qualifications mean anything over there, i am fully qualified and have looked on a couple of job sites for perth and surrounding areas but there seems to be requirements for certain things like "must have tech" and i dont know what this means.

If anyone can provide me with some info on being a uk qualified electrician in oz i would much appreciate it .

Thanks for any help....

Guest JohnKelly

G'day Bruceyboy, I am not an Electrician but I am aware that there are strict Licensing Requirements.

Here is the Link which I am sure will provide you with the information that you require, plus contact info to the various State Licensing Authorities.

http://www.erac.gov.au/

Cheers.

Guest mikebloke

hey brucey boy, i am a pom of sorts in adelaide, with my own electrical business. not sure about the details for other states, but the main basics are the same. apply to "trades recognition australia". search for the website. they send you a form and you have to get qualifications and references etc to prove you are a sparky. they send a letter back if you are approved, and then you coincide this with applying for a visa. when and IF you land, you re-apply AGAIN to same people to get the actual certificate, can take another 4 months after landing. you also then do an "A" class refresher course to prove you know your stuff (its easy) then get a full licence from the office of business and consumer affairs ( thats the adelaide bit). I know this as i have done it, plus i just interviewed a guy for a job who is in the middle of it all. the work is easier here than UK, less paperwork, easier houses to wire, simpler installations. basic rules are all identical. best difference is...THE EARTH WIRE IN THE T+E IS READY SLEEVED YEEEAH. Hope this helps, good luck.... Mike

Guest mikebloke

oh sorry mate, one more thing, if you think you are highly taxed in UK, dream on, come on over and watch your money go. still, the sun is shining.

Guest bruceyboy

Hi mike and john thanks for the info much appreciated i will get onto that straight away.

So mike you say watch your money go with the taxes i was under the impression it was better for taxes out there , what is the tax percentage ?

Also mike would you be able to give me a rough indication of what the weekly wage is there , were looking to move to perth but are open to diffrent opinions about other places. You said you have your own business in adelaide did you find it a struggle starting of or was it pretty straight forward ? . I have my own business here in essex and would like to start another one over there when the time is right . Is the work easy to come by there or is it struggle to get started? , sorry about all the questions its just your in the position im going to be going for and you've been through it so you seem like the best person to talk to.

If you could provide me with as much info as possible it will be greatly appreciated .....

Thanks Bruce (EARTH IN T&E ALREADY SLEEVED , BONUS !)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cosworth123

hi bruceyboy,

where are you from in essex :?: ,

iam in maldon trying to relocate to melbourne soon.

i have a drylining company here and as you well know my trade in oz is well reconized due to most of the properties being timberframe construction.

us dryliners are you best loved trade as we allways like hiding your cables :D

i have a some building contacts already but also need alot more imformation.

regartds,

richard

• 1 month later...
Guest ABCDiamond
So mike you say watch your money go with the taxes i was under the impression it was better for taxes out there , what is the tax percentage ?

Current tax rates are at: Aust Tax Office

Someone earning the average wage of about $50,000 per year will pay $10,860 in tax, effectively 21.7% of the gross income. They will also pay the Medicare levy of 1.5%.

Some Examples of Tax calculations (at 2005/2006 rates) are:

$10,000 gross = $ 600 tax (ie: 6.0% of gross)

$15,000 gross = $1,350 tax (ie: 9.0% of gross)

$25,000 gross = $3,360 tax (ie: 13.4% of gross)

$35,000 gross = $6,360 tax (ie: 18.2% of gross)

$45,000 gross = $9,360 tax (ie: 20.8% of gross)

$55,000 gross = $12,960 tax (ie: 23.6% of gross)

$65,000 gross = $17,160 tax (ie: 26.4% of gross)

$75,000 gross = $21,360 tax (ie: 28.5% of gross)

$85,000 gross = $25,710 tax (ie: 30.2% of gross)

$100,000 gross = $32,760 tax (ie: 32.8% of gross)

$200,000 gross = $79,760 tax (ie: 39.9% of gross)

On top of these rates will be the 1.5% Medicare levy.

If a single person earns more than $50,000, and DOES NOT HAVE private medical insurance, this will be increased to a 2.5% Medicare levy.

When comparing to the UK, remember to take account of the NI aspect too, as this makes a difference.

I found that people earning less than the average wage pay less Tax & Medicare in Australia, than Tax & NI in the UK on the average wage there.

However, once you are over the average wage, you tend to pay higher taxes here.

Although, once you settle in, you do find ways to cut the tax down :)

eg: Sun Cream & Sunglasses are tax deductible if you work outside.

The average UK resident is taxed 6% more than an Aussie one. The UK being the 11th highest taxed place in the world and Aus the 15th highest.

UK – 37.4%

OZ – 31.5%

A typical person in oz earning say $A50k would be $A3k per year worse off if living in the UK on the same salary. $3K buys a lot of beer – about 100 slabs :wink:

It could be worse - we could all be living in Sweden, where each resident gets taxed 54.2% on average :shock:

Guest ABCDiamond
The average UK resident is taxed 6% more than an Aussie one. The UK being the 11th highest taxed place in the world and Aus the 15th highest.

UK – 37.4%

OZ – 31.5%

A typical person in oz earning say $A50k would be $A3k per year worse off if living in the UK on the same salary. $3K buys a lot of beer – about 100 slabs :wink:

It could be worse - we could all be living in Sweden, where each resident gets taxed 54.2% on average :shock:

I assume that takes into account ALL taxes ? ie: including the UK VAT at 17.5% and the equivalent OZ GST at 10%

Another comparison for that $3k...... It pays for my daughters private school fees here for a whole year :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Bruceyboy just wondered if you got sorted yet?We are off over there as soon as poss.I have looked into it and just got back from 5 weeks over there with my girl who is an aussie.

John

forgot to say that you can't work there unless you are assessed by TRA and then you get a licence from the state you are in,with supervision,for up to a year.

• 4 months later...
Guest DaveNSharon

Hi BruceyBoy, how are ya,7 months later and I'm just joined this site (great site), similar position here, electrician in Ireland and itching to move, how did you get on since ? Still stuck in Uk or on the way? Dave.

Archived