VivaMacau Airlines. Good or bad news

stunmilie

Has anyone used VivaMacau to get to Europe from Sydney?... The High Season return fare from Sydney to Macau is about Aus$565 and from Hong Kong to Istanbul with Turkish airways Aus$830. Then Ryanair into Stanstead. It looks like the return trip adds up to about $1600. Very cheap it seems. I have two questions. How do you get from Macau to Hong Kong and will VivaMacau still be flying next year? Stuart and Milia

Guest The Pom Queen

Not sure on this but there were talks of Air AsiaX doing a return ticket for $1000, although they didn't mention that this didn't include tax. The airline is owned by Richard Branson and Air Canada.

It may entice other airlines to reduce their costs.

Stunmilie .... Do your calculations include tax ??? ... If not then I suggest that considering all the inconveniences of transits , chances of missed connections and the fact that you have to pay for a Macau - HK return trip , it is not such a good deal . There is a fast ferry service from Macau to HK . I'm not sure whether it serves HK Airport though , if not an additional HK city to Airport fare has to be factored in . Incidentally I'm flying SYD to Manchester rtn in a few weeks time for $1700 inc. tax using Etihad Airlines . It's not peak time I admit , but still a good fare , with one of the Worlds fastest growing Airlines which is likely to be around next year , something that Viva Macau may not !! ..

Air Asia X have claimed $1000 rtn ex tax fares to The UK , however, they are a low cost carrier and as such there are extras that need to be payed for , like food , drinks , blankets , etc .and at the moment only fly from the Gold Coast Airport . Malaysia Airlines have already adverised a sub $1000 fare , but wait for it , the tax to be added on is over $1000 !! ..

Dave C

My figures include all flights and taxes, but not connection between airports, hotels, restaurants ferries trains taxis etc. These extras could indeed make the trip much more expensive than direct Ethihad or Singapore airline flights.

We have done the Sing/KL/BK stopovers. They are interesting, but we dont want to keep visiting these places. We want to stop off at new and intersting place on route to Europe. The New and Old Macau sounds intersting, and Istanbul and the train jurney through the Balcans to pick up Ryanair in Sofia or Prague, could be an adventure. We also want to end up at Stanstead if possible.

A stopover in AbuDabi is not something that appeals to us. I have a vision of a massive Westfield Shopping Centre surrounded by sand, but I might be wrong.

I guess that the New Las Vegas in Macau is here to stay and VivaMacau Airlines is its lifeline. I hope I'm right. It may break the "noose" that TheFlightcentre, Qantas etc put round our necks in Australia.

Stuart....Stunmilie

Archived