Avoca Beach Area

Guest The Siveters

Guest The Siveters

We're thinking of moving to the Avoca Beach/ Terrigal area. Is there a family out there who have recently migrated to this area and could give us any help on primary school low downs and general area info/ top tips?:smile:

Hi

Have a peek at

Avoca Beach Public School - Home Page

NSW Public Schools Home Page

Terrigal Primary School Central Coast NSW Australia Links

I have a friend whos child goes to Terrigal primary and its supposed to be a very good school (but i have not had a child at this school)

also try www.realestate.com.au & Terrigal Accommodation, Restaurants, Function Venues and Business Information

http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWTerrigal.shtml

all the best

stuju

Guest sandy25

Hi siveters, I'm still keen to move to this area too, although property seems to have gone up, so I'm also considering the illawarra area too(south of sydney). You might want to search avoca beach on the search tool on this site, there's lots of information and previous questions I've asked that have been answered. I've always had positive responses about this area. Avoca Beach and Terrigal schools sound good. good luck. If you get any more info, let me know.

Hi Stuju!

Guest The Siveters
Hi

Have a peek at

Avoca Beach Public School - Home Page

NSW Public Schools Home Page

Terrigal Primary School Central Coast NSW Australia Links

I have a friend whos child goes to Terrigal primary and its supposed to be a very good school (but i have not had a child at this school)

also try www.realestate.com.au & Terrigal Accommodation, Restaurants, Function Venues and Business Information

Walkabout - Terrigal

all the best

stuju

Hi Stuju,

Thanks for the info. We've spent the week going through a lot of things. We know Sydney fairly well but not so much in the sourounding areas. We are at the early stages of the process. Decided to definatly come but narrowing down some of the schools and towns. I imagine you get lots of emails asking similar questions having gone through what we are about to. Any general advice/suggestions/recommendations/do's/don'ts would be very much appreciated (only when you get 5 mins away from that lovely weather. I imagine everyone sat on the beach with their laptops though!)

Thanks again

Darren, Michelle, Natasha(6), Ethan(2) and Freya(2).

Guest The Siveters
Hi siveters, I'm still keen to move to this area too, although property seems to have gone up, so I'm also considering the illawarra area too(south of sydney). You might want to search avoca beach on the search tool on this site, there's lots of information and previous questions I've asked that have been answered. I've always had positive responses about this area. Avoca Beach and Terrigal schools sound good. good luck. If you get any more info, let me know.

Hi Stuju!

Hi Sandy25,

Thanks for the info. We've spent the week going through a lot of things. We know Sydney fairly well but not so much in the sourounding areas. We are at the early stages of the process. Decided to definatly come but narrowing down some of the schools and towns. I imagine you get lots of emails asking similar questions having gone through what we are about to. Any general advice/suggestions/recommendations/do's/don'ts would be very much appreciated (only when you get 5 mins away from that lovely weather. I imagine everyone sat on the beach with their laptops though!)

Thanks again

Darren, Michelle, Natasha(6), Ethan(2) and Freya(2).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bodders
We're thinking of moving to the Avoca Beach/ Terrigal area. Is there a family out there who have recently migrated to this area and could give us any help on primary school low downs and general area info/ top tips?:smile:

Hi all,

Don't mean to hijack a thread but we are also thinking of moving to this same area. We've just been granted a 457 visa and I will be working in NSW. We were originally thinking Northern Beaches but it seems that this area offers better value for money. We'll be renting a property and have 2x 5 year old kids who will need to start school pretty soon I guess. Any pointers/help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim, Mandy, Mia (5) and Joe (5)

Hi Stuju

i'm considering the avoca beach area but will be working in sydeny cbd. How long does it take to drive to the city from avoca beach?

cheers

Daz

Hi Stuju

i'm considering the avoca beach area but will be working in sydeny cbd. How long does it take to drive to the city from avoca beach?

cheers

Daz

Hi Daz.

hubby works in Sydney quite alot, if you were to leave Avoca before 5.15am you could do it in an hour & 1/4 but any later than that leaving Avoca then you would be looking at around 2 hours to the cbd due to heavy volumes of traffic.

Theres always the train from Gosford central

stuju

• 3 weeks later...
Guest d molloy

Hello all,

We have come back from a reccie to oz. Originally we were going to settle in Kiama but after spending a week there we decided to look north, which brought us to Avoca Beach. Wow what a beautiful place the beach by far beats kiama, the nightlife, the proximity to Gosford, Newcastle and Sydney. We checked out the school which was fantastic although it is not hard to beat the Irish education system. We found the people to be friendly and the playground is brilliant for both parents and adults. Hopefully that helps

Guest littlesarah

Hi Avoca Beach is indeed lovely. Only downside I found is that it can get a bit busy in the summer - a lot of Sydney-siders seem to come up for Christmas (not that I blame them)! That & the fact that it's getting a bit more expensive these days (for now anyway)...

Guest sandy25

d molloy, please tell me more. How exciting! Those are the two areas (Kiama and Avoca beach/terrigal) I'd narrowed my search down to. I've never been there before and am fascinated to know more. How did they differ? Tell me what you liked and disliked, if you have time? Whats the school like? The feel of the place? Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers Wendy:jiggy:

Hi All

We have been on the Central Coast for 6 months children are age 7 and 6 and weve just bought a house so you could say we are happy. Cant decide which I love more between Avoca or terrigal both great. Looking forward to the summer holidays with the kids so much to explore and do.

Lynda

Guest d molloy

Hello Sandy25,

Dont get me wrong Kiama is a beautiful place the school is great and the people friendly I would recommend a visit. I found Kiama to be a bit isolated as apposed to Avoca. Woolongong been the next city I wouuldnt fancy the commute to Sydney. The beaches as I said are much better in Avoca I also found the people to be a lot stiffer and there was lots of religious stuff going on. I think all you can do is check it out yourself but it just didnt do it for me although I will visit again.

Guest d molloy

Wendy,

The school in Kiama was great a catholic school looked for baptismal certs which we have already so no problem there. The principal was sound and the school was on the beach. Avoca beach school is great aswell no dominant religion which I think is a good thing and if you compare the cirriculam of both schools I think Avoca comes out on top. I think also the fact that the Avoca Beach enrollment policy i.e the catchment area being smaller helps as we live in a rural part of Ireland. I dont know how much more I can tell you as I have only spent a week in each place but I hope I have helped you some of the way. If anyone else could elaborate on the above information or if I have got it wrong please tell me

Guest sandy25

thanks d molloy, that's really helpful. Can't wait. Your so lucky. We did a reccie in March to Mackay in queensland but then changed our destination so now going blind. We've been to sydney a couple of times before and coffs harbour, byron bay etc, but not the central coast. Thanks for the info. Good luck with your application. Wendy:jiggy:

Archived