adelaide here we come???

Guest steve jarvis

Guest steve jarvis

Hi there, can anyone re-assure us we`re doing the right thing? we`ve been thinking of moving to OZ for the last couple of years now, bottled it a couple of times but now have booked a trip over there to suss the place out and will hopefully start the application when we get back at the end of march. We are limited on where we can settle due to the visa we can apply for, we`re going to Adelaide to stay with some friends, anyone else out there going to Adelaide? anyone in Adelaide now that could give us some info on the place?

i`ll be going with my wife and son who is 3years old, we want a better lifestyle and better opportunities for our boy. i am a painter and decorator by trade, main concern is will i get a job?

would be great to hear from anyone who`s been in our shoes :)

Guest Bex & Nick

Hiya

We're applying for an SIR with a view to going to Adelaide.

We both have the same thoughts about is it the right move to make - some days are a definite "yes", others "maybe" and sometimes when thinking about all our family its "mmm, na". However, I think that at the end of the day if its been on your mind for some time it's worth going out there just to give it a go - no one says that you can't come back to the UK, but at least you'll know and not wonder "what if...".

I've been to Australia before, spent about 10 months out there and loved it but didn't visit Adelaide. Obviously going out there now that I'm that bit older and more settled in my career in the UK is going to be somewhat different to the carefree backpacker existence!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your reccie! Good luck & have fun!

Bex

Guest steve jarvis

Hi Bex

we`d be going out there on the SIR visa aswell, have chosen adelaide as i have my best mate from school out there. He married an aussie and has been out there about 10years.

I stayed with them for a week when i went to oz on holiday a few years ago and my wife - amanda - went to oz for about a year mainly staying in sydney but did spend a week in adelaide with a mate. we realise that living in oz will be a bit different to holidaying out there to say the least but my friend is really positive about the way of life over there, he loves it and all australia has to offer. He`s got a couple of kids now and reckons its a great place to bring them up - unlike here!

like yourselves we`ve had times when one day we definetly want to go then the next day we feel different, its good to know we`re not the only mad ones thinking like that!

how far have you got with your application? we`re going to start ours as soon as we get back at the end of march. keep us posted as to how you`re getting on, will let you know what adelaide is like when we get back.

all the best

steve and amanda

Guest Bex & Nick

All sounds v positive!

We had our medicals last week and police checks have been completed so I guess its just waiting for it all to happen now - its been quite long for us: we started thinking about going about 2 years ago but because we weren't married we had to prove we'd been living together for a min. of 12 months first....and after all that we've decided to tie the knot anyway this March!

Anyhow, Nick did his VETASSESS in Feb. 06 and our visa application went in at the end of July '06 (there was a long gap between the two because I was ill but touchwood am OK now!). It was frustratingly quiet for several months but then we had the request for PC's and medicals a few days before Christmas so obviously the ball has started rolling again.

Have fun in Adelaide and do keep us updated!

Bex & Nick

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi

We've got our visa's to go to Adelaide and went for a visit to validate them in August. When we got back we decided not to emigrate, but now we are on the verge of deciding to go - it is a really hard decision to make when it is for real.

Everybody we met was really friendly and we got really good help and advice from estate agents and the education department - we weren't overly impressed with Adelaide city but the hills and the beach areas were beautiful.

We are looking further into the pension, old age provision, health care situation before finally deciding (hopefully!).

If we do decide to go we have to go by August this year so that we can fit in the 2 years before the visa runs out. The way we are looking at it if we go and can't settle we can always come back but if we don't go we have blown our chance for ever.

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi

We have our visas for Adelaide and went over to validate them in August. We have changed our minds several times about whether to go or not it is so hard when it is for real - we were all convinced it was the right thing to do when we were applying but the emotions are completely different now. The children are all keen to go but it is a big wrench to leave everything behind.

At the end of the day the approach we are taking now is that if we can;'t settle we can always come back but if we don't go we have blown the chance for ever.

Guest steve jarvis

hi

your surname isnt jarvis by any chance is it?

totally agree if you dont give it a go you might have regrets in the future, at least if it doesnt work out you can come back to the UK.

keep us posted on what you decide to do and how you get on, any particular suburbs you liked? what didnt you like about the city?

good luck

steve and amanda jarvis

Guest steve jarvis

hi

your surname isnt jarvis by any chance is it?

totally agree if you dont give it a go you might have regrets in the future, at least if it doesnt work out you can come back to the UK.

keep us posted on what you decide to do and how you get on, any particular suburbs you liked? what didnt you like about the city?

good luck

steve and amanda jarvis

Archived