Missing Birmingham!!!!!!!

Guest meme

Guest jogrant3232

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know your not missing much at all. Wettest summer for 50years, I havent even sunbathed this year in the garden. I think we have managed to have about 5 barbies. The last one the wind kept blowing it out. We have eaten outside once.

The school my son is at, his class hasnt had a English or Maths teacher for 12 months just supply teachers, they dont turn up all the time and he goes to one of the better schools.

Crime is getting worse. Its not burglers you worry about anymore its being stabbed and unsafe when you go out. Its very intimidating just walking the streets.

The only thing I think I would miss here is the shopping(Food and Clothes).

I do love just getting on the train and going into town for a spend. I think half the time though I only do this for something to do as its all indoor so I wont get wet.

A friend of mine came back last year from Aus as she was missing home so much.(Birmingham)

They are now trying to go back but cant sell there house.

We are hopeing to be out in Aus before Christmas and have said that we will give it 3 years at least.

Im sure you will be fine once that sun comes, lets face it a bit of sun cheers us all up but dont beat yourself up too much about wanting to come home.

BEST TO REGRET SOMETHING YOU HAVE DONE THAN SOMETHING YOU HAVENT.....

Guest earlswood
Hi JLT,

I have lived here for 15yrs and it is nothing like where I came from in the UK and I lived just outside Liverpool, we had a saying there 'They would rob the eyes out of your head if you weren't looking' so I understand to an extent what you are saying.

I have gone to bed many a time leaving the back door open the car unlocked and nothing has happened, I walk around with my handbag unzipped, kids leave their backpacks in the shopping centres near the doors, nobody touches them.

Yes if you go out on a saturday night to the local club you will see some fighting etc., there are the car hoons especially when it rains, but being in the environment you now live in you will think this place is a crime free zone, it isn't of course, but then you will be wise enough to protect yourselves.

It is a good place to live even with it's faults at times, but then nowhere in the world is perfect unless you live on a desert island!! just my opinion.:yes:

There are good places and bad in both Countries, I was dragged up in the Cotswolds and we could leave the back door open etc etc, :yes:

Guest earlswood
Thanks for that. 15 years?! That's fantastic.

I appreciate there will be crime, but can't believe it's anything more than a fraction of what the UK is like. In any case, people aren't packed in like sardines as they are here.

Awful living somewhere where yr afraid to go to sleep at night for fear of burglary. At times I hate this country.

A fraction :swoon: it has about the same crime as the UK times percentage of population....it is the same the world over...good and bad places..and remember the aussies have plenty of criminal genes in their blood.

Northbridge where I stay is a bit dodgy and most of the houses have bars on the windows and doors, but if you are careful you should be OK in either Country.

Guest tony sutcliffe

Hi,

...know exactly how you feel, its really tough isnt it. Been here in Brissy for 5 months & not really getting any better, just hanging on in here by the 'skin of my teeth!' Just a word of warning though if you do decide to come over to Brisbane, check out the work situation as we have found it really hard to get work, despite the apparent lack of skilled migrants, there are areas where work is non existant. we are considering moving areas as a last ditch attempt before we go back to the UK. Check places out, as the grass may not be greener here!

jlt,

The grass certanly is GREENER over here!!! of course it isnt perfect over here....to many winos, i live in sydney....but i have to say, even the winos say please and thank you wen begging for money!!

I wouldnt go back to the uk, london where i used to live if you paid me....life is great here, cheaper, safer,hotter!!!! you will love it.......

Earlswood, you confuse me???? i have been checking out this site since before i came here to sydney and even then you were on here moaning about oz and saying how great uk is.....why are you still here....its been months now!!!!! go back to england.....

jlt,

The grass certanly is GREENER over here!!! of course it isnt perfect over here....to many winos, i live in sydney....but i have to say, even the winos say please and thank you wen begging for money!!

I wouldnt go back to the uk, london where i used to live if you paid me....life is great here, cheaper, safer,hotter!!!! you will love it.......

Earlswood, you confuse me???? i have been checking out this site since before i came here to sydney and even then you were on here moaning about oz and saying how great uk is.....why are you still here....its been months now!!!!! go back to england.....

Thank you from someone positive! I too wonder about people who're really down on Oz. It's not good reading for those of us on our way! It's a tough enough decision as it is.

Guest moonraker1961

I agree but its better to have the facts is'nt it?Or would you all prefer to have the air brushed version of Oz?Seems to me like alot of people up north emigrate,from Manchester and so on.Maybe it is bad where you live but the whole of the UK is'nt like that.I am fed up of hearing "I'm sick of all the immigrants"to "I'm sick of the crime"Australia is'nt full of all white people with no criminal records??You cannot get away from whatever you are trying to get away from.

I agree but its better to have the facts is'nt it?Or would you all prefer to have the air brushed version of Oz?Seems to me like alot of people up north emigrate,from Manchester and so on.Maybe it is bad where you live but the whole of the UK is'nt like that.I am fed up of hearing "I'm sick of all the immigrants"to "I'm sick of the crime"Australia is'nt full of all white people with no criminal records??You cannot get away from whatever you are trying to get away from.

why pick on Up North????? I lived in a lovely area, I came over here for a new life, sounds like the North/South divide to me, plenty of people South of the Uk emigrate too or have you missed that fact?

why pick on Up North?????

Guest earlswood

Spot on, if you read only the nice bits you will be dissapointed when you get here...better a bit of both.

Guest moonraker1961

Most of the people who complain about the crime rate ect usually come from up north.You can see where they come from by their avatars?Thats a fact I'm afraid.I just get very angry when people slate the UK,whinge about the crime,illegals or whatever when where I come from its pretty much the opposite.I am not picking on Up North as you are insinuating.I used to live up there myself for gods sake.If someone did a percentage on where most of the people emigrating to Oz are from I can bet the highest would be from up north.

Hi

i do feel really sorry for you, but did you go their thinking that the weather would be good all year round, personally i think if its raining where ever u r seems crap, i think maybe have a look at a different area, what line of work are you looking for, have you thought about south aus, somewhere like adelaide, i have been their on holiday, and really liked it, your 20 mins from anywhere like beaches, towns etc, the weather is better their, and the transport system to get around is really good, i currently live in spain at present, but am awaiting my visa to go to aus, and that is where im planning on going to, i love spain and the weather is fab, but getting used to a totally different culture is difficulty, but just go with the flow, i cant believe how anyone would want to go back to england, all my relatives in aus, some in syndey, and some in adelaide but say the kids love the schools, and their is virtually no crime, here in spain, it is worse than the uk for crime, and you have to really careful, about everything, but i would never go back to uk.

lizzy x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hello Kitty

JLT - My best friend is from Sulihall in Burmingham and she has been here for 5 years. They love it here are would not consider going back. Her hubby thinks it is paradise here as he can do all the things he loves to do. She has had times when she has been homesick for family and friends. I am sure she misses things about the UK too which is natural and normal. She went back to Birmingham for a visit and it reinforced to her that Australia was home for her now. She said that it had changed since she has been here and not for the better. She felt uncomfortable and unsafe at times. Her daughter was frightened at times because of the crowds and gangs of youths hanging around. She thought the houses felt cramped and small as she lives in very large, modern home here. It hasn't all been smooth sailing for them since they have been here but all in all they are happy they came and fully intend to stay. The kids love it and love their school. When they came here the kids were introverted and shy and now they are full of confidence and have come along leaps and bounds.

JLT - My best friend is from Sulihall in Burmingham and she has been here for 5 years. They love it here are would not consider going back. Her hubby thinks it is paradise here as he can do all the things he loves to do. She has had times when she has been homesick for family and friends. I am sure she misses things about the UK too which is natural and normal. She went back to Birmingham for a visit and it reinforced to her that Australia was home for her now. She said that it had changed since she has been here and not for the better. She felt uncomfortable and unsafe at times. Her daughter was frightened at times because of the crowds and gangs of youths hanging around. She thought the houses felt cramped and small as she lives in very large, modern home here. It hasn't all been smooth sailing for them since they have been here but all in all they are happy they came and fully intend to stay. The kids love it and love their school. When they came here the kids were introverted and shy and now they are full of confidence and have come along leaps and bounds.

Thanks for that. I can't think i would miss this place too much! My family will be the only thing pulling me over.

Jo

Guest paulwbafc

were from brum moved to a suburb just south of brisbane and its paradise up here. visit and i think you would love it here. we got oz's only balti restaurant run by a brummie. lots of brummies live here and made friends with a few already in the 3 months i have been here. its a bit of midlands in oz here. check it out.

were from brum moved to a suburb just south of brisbane and its paradise up here. visit and i think you would love it here. we got oz's only balti restaurant run by a brummie. lots of brummies live here and made friends with a few already in the 3 months i have been here. its a bit of midlands in oz here. check it out.

Just came back from Brisbane after spending two weeks there, could'nt see anything that appealed to us appart from the better weather, wish i had known about you, we could have come and said hi and had a DECENT curry!! for the first time since we got here!!lol.

Archived