Phone/internet/mobile packages?

Guest mccarudd

Guest mccarudd

Hi

can anyone give me advice on good phone/internet/mobile deals? I'm having a hard time figuring out what's what given different terminologies etc-can't figure out the whole capped thing at all. I use the internet a lot for work-4-5 hours per day I'd say. Not really sure what my phone use will be like.

Help gratefully received!

Hi

can anyone give me advice on good phone/internet/mobile deals? I'm having a hard time figuring out what's what given different terminologies etc-can't figure out the whole capped thing at all. I use the internet a lot for work-4-5 hours per day I'd say. Not really sure what my phone use will be like.

Help gratefully received!

Try http://www.whirlpool.net.au and follow the "broadband Choice" thing.

It covers just about every ISP in Australia.

.."capped" means that you get a download quota (x gigabites) at teh speed agreed for your plan...and when you've used it up, your speed slows right down to about dial-up ...but you never pay any more than your agreed monthly fee.

You can choos, as an alternative a plan which allows you to pay an extra-over (excess) amount each month for any excess downloads above your quota..and tey speed stays the same.

Do not sign up with Telstra unless you know what you are doing... Telstra charge for uploads as well as downloads..which most ISPs don't... and their excess fees are crippling.

I signed up to Optus but bitterly regret it. We may have just been unfortunate but so far the service has been appalling.. Memories of BT come flooding back!

It is very possible though that they are all much of a muchness!!!

Guest mccarudd

Nice one...

What I don't understand are the quotas. I'm used to paying a flat fee then getting whatever you want whenever you want. What I want to use b'band for is listening to the footie at home on internet radio, downloading music now and again and then the usual browsing stuff. What do you think a good quota would be for this?

Thanks again for the help

Nice one...

What I don't understand are the quotas. I'm used to paying a flat fee then getting whatever you want whenever you want. What I want to use b'band for is listening to the footie at home on internet radio, downloading music now and again and then the usual browsing stuff. What do you think a good quota would be for this?

Thanks again for the help

.."capped" means that you get a download quota (x gigabites) at the speed agreed for your plan...and when you've used it up, your speed slows right down to about dial-up ...but you never pay any more than your agreed monthly fee.

You can choose, as an alternative a plan which allows you to pay an extra-over (excess) amount each month for any excess downloads above your quota..and the speed stays the same.

For some reason the "unlimited download" plans that are run in the UK never quite took off here. I suppose its like local phone calls... ours our flat fee, untimed...whereas BT have always charged by the minute....

..I am currently with eXeTeL on a 32Gb plan at $80 per month (I get 32GB during peak time and another 32Gb during off-peak (which is midnight to 10.00am) ...quite a few ISP offer peak plus bonus off-peak, the idea being to get people downloading their big files overnight rather than in mainstream time)... and although there are 5 of us in the house...(Including three teenagers...one of whom watches streaming TV from Japan) I never use it all.

I would suggest that, given your needs, you start at 20Gb or greater. Even if you sign-up on a minimum contract duration (Most ISPs will want 6 months min...some a year... or even two) it doesn't stop you increasing or decreasing your quota on your plan... (...just leaving to go elsewhere).

The ISPs that get top marks for are Westnet and Internode... Good service, good support... modertae pricing. I was with Westnet, but when teh kids got heavy on the downloads ...and I was payimg $10 a GB excess... I decided to move to an "economy" isp.

eXeTeL are near the bootom of the market in terms of price ... Customet support is crap... but I think the target market is coputer-savvy users rather than mims and dads.

Mid level are iinet, Netspace, People Telecom and so forth.

If you read Whirlpool you will get a feel for who is who...

Telstra (read Aussie BT) are the big beast of ISPs, reputedly dodgy customer service, and certainly not attractive pricing...but a lot of mums and dads know little else than Telstra... so Telstra make lots of money from small-end non-savvy users.

Optus is part of Singapore Telcom... reasonably good, but prolly No 2 in terms of raw size. Some negative comments on Whirlpool following a problem with an undersea cable resulting in slow feeds.

Happy to help... 8)

• 1 month later...
Thanks Frazer, I've been wondering about BB too, it is a bit different to packages here. Your suggestions are very helpful. :D

My pleasure... 8)

Archived