How to choose a suburb!

Guest catsinfrance

Guest catsinfrance

Hey there,

Of course you want to know this, who wouldn't? Moving home after 15years, so do I.

Seriously, there is only one way to find out - you have to go and do the legwork and see all the areas of Melbourne. Its the only way. I am out of touch of suburbs so will be doing exactly that. Everyone is different and one person will say somewhere is great, and you will think it is crap.

And keep in mind many suburbs' reputations are based on history and the perception has never changed. Footscray and the western suburbs 30 years ago were crap, full stop. Even the people there wanted to leave. Now, I know lots of people moving there, or to Brunswick and god forbid - Coburg....Frankston (where I grew up) has a shocking reputation - never, ever saw any problems, yet I could go to the beach every day....and now people move to Frankston South go to Frankston High School, good god :-) how things change!

So true, every suburb has things that do not suit everyone. You can have bad neighbours wherever you live they have no select socio economic group they come from all groups and maybe I am one of them who knows :smile:

Most people who know the Frankston area are pleased that its not a favourite as I see areas that have become favourites spoiled by over development and change of character. Yes the streets of Frankston South beating there way to Frankston High are paved in gold and people will do anything to get their child in the zone. You would think its the only school that has success when its not true and all the high schools have success from students who want to get on and learn and get a career.

South Melbourne is an expensive area but they have the high rise flats there where problems arise.

Gated communities in Queensland and now we are getting them in Victoria where people live and watch everyone to see that they are not doing things they shouldnt.

Covenants on property that say you must keep your caravan hidden from the Street so the street scape is not spoiled and pipes must be hidden, cant have cats, etc etc these are the new suburbs and the new life of watching one another to see we don't overstep the mark.

For me I like ordinary diverse suburbs where people go about doing their thing.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey there,

Of course you want to know this, who wouldn't? Moving home after 15years, so do I.

Seriously, there is only one way to find out - you have to go and do the legwork and see all the areas of Melbourne. Its the only way. I am out of touch of suburbs so will be doing exactly that. Everyone is different and one person will say somewhere is great, and you will think it is crap.

And keep in mind many suburbs' reputations are based on history and the perception has never changed. Footscray and the western suburbs 30 years ago were crap, full stop. Even the people there wanted to leave. Now, I know lots of people moving there, or to Brunswick and god forbid - Coburg....Frankston (where I grew up) has a shocking reputation - never, ever saw any problems, yet I could go to the beach every day....and now people move to Frankston South go to Frankston High School, good god :-) how things change!

I agree totally with your comments and feel that everyone should visit the suburbs for themselves. We have spoken to people who have said oh I must avoid this area and oh I have to buy in this suburb but once they arrive and drive around their thoughts change. Thankfully we are not all alike and what may be heaven to one person could be anothers hell.

Guest Brickie
Thankfully we are not all alike and what may be heaven to one person could be anothers hell.

Just as well or we would all live in the same country/city/suburb and drive each other nuts... :cute:

Guest andrewbatt

hi my names andrew im moving to melbourne with my wife gaynor i have had mixed reports of melbourne but 1n thread says it is a dump what is geelong like and werribee like

Archived