Hi, we're new here!!!

Guest TheTaylors

Guest TheTaylors

Hello all - this is the first time on this site and looks really useful!! We are thinking about emigrating to Oz, but not really sure where to go! Hubby has family in Perth so possibly may go that way but how do you decide?? We are both in our late 30's (well nearly 40 actually) and have two kids, Max 5 and Lily 4 months. Can anyone give any pointers on where to start? Any advice of any kind greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!

Emily and Mark :?

Hi Emily and Mark we got our permanant residence visa's in Nov 2006 and we our going to Brisbane for the whole of July to see what its like ! We have 2 kids Natasha 4 Danielle 22 months. Hope we really like it so we can come back sell house and move permanently. We did think about Perth, but it seems so far from everywhere else for us, however my Tesco man says its lovely and he wants to retire out there as that is where his son lives. Have you got visa's yet ?

Good luck deciding

Guest TheTaylors

Hi - thanks for your response. We haven't got our visas yet - we have contacted an agency but are now shopping around to see whether to go it alone or try an agency. Which did you do? Also, once you have your visas do you have a limited amount of time to definitely move? Mark did some work for a guy from Brisbane and apparently it is fabulous!!

Thanks

Hi Emily and Mark

welcome to poms in Oz. We have decided on Brisbane mainly on advice from someone in the same line of work as OH he works in air conditioning and ventilation and with the good weather all year round there is more work opportunities.

On a trip out there last August we now believe we have made the right choice its fantastic. I could easily go to Tasmaia though but we are going to start in Brisbane and see how it works out, if that doesn't work Tasmania is definately our next port of call.

We have used an agent definately takes the load of us however if you have the time or the patience i feel I could have done it myself. If I had seen a draft of what it should look like and with the help of people on here it can be done and save money in the process. Saying that our agent has been fantastic and I'm glad we have spent the money.

As for moving out there I think I am right in saying you have a year from the date of your medicals to validate your visa by travelling out there and getting your passport stamped you can return back to the UK after that and have to return permenantly within 5 years if I'm wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

Good luck with your application

Kaye :)

Hi Emily and Mark. We used a migration agent DGA Consultants. They had office in London and Adelaide. Cost £2000 but they basically held our hand through all of it. Gave us notes on how to answer the questions and gave us examples of what to put on our TRA application. Hubby is a carpenter and joiner. We got our visa's granted in Nov 2006 and had til Nov 2007 to activate them then we have untill nov 2011 to move there permanently.

Luckily for us we found an agent who writes the application and the work references all we had to do was get employers to sign references on headed paper.

Kaye :)

We are heading to Perth asap, we did a recce in 2005 with our then 4 year old twins they loved it we loved it. When it was time to come home after a month it was the first time ever that We did not want to go home. The people were great the weather was great, one aussie said to me 'well why wouldn't you want to come here?'. Everyone we know thats been to Perth thought it was fantastic too. I walked into an old friend about a week ago and told him we were going to Perth ( he lived in oz for a year ) and the look of pure jealously on his face said YOU JAMMY ******.

Guest samantha_emily

I have been in Melbourne for one year and love it. Its a fantastic city, not too big and you dont feel like your suffocating like you do in Sydney. Its picturesque, with so many amazing places just a few hours drive from the city; skiing in the Victorian Alps, the Great ocean Road with the amazing 12 Apostles, the Yarra valley with hundreds of wineries plus much more. Its also a great place for families, the beaches are clean and safe, there are parks all over the city, and plenty of stuff to keep kids of all ages interested.

Its also very close to most of the other big cities out here (by plane that is), so its easy to travel and explore this magnificent country.

Melbourne is definately work looking into. I know many people who lived in Sydney before realising that Sydney is the kind of city they wanted to more away from. Melbourne is much more relaxed and friendly, which helps when you know no-one and have just moved your family to the other side of the world.

Guest ohippychick

I would say to go where the work is. All very well being in a lovely place but if you can't make ends meet.......

Research all areas, find out re jobs, house prices, schools etc and then visit. I'm seeing too many people returning to the UK because they didn't do enough research

Guest TheTaylors

Thanks for all the responses - we are now researching like crazy to see what will be best for us - will keep you posted!! :)

Guest cories close
Hello all - this is the first time on this site and looks really useful!! We are thinking about emigrating to Oz, but not really sure where to go! Hubby has family in Perth so possibly may go that way but how do you decide?? We are both in our late 30's (well nearly 40 actually) and have two kids, Max 5 and Lily 4 months. Can anyone give any pointers on where to start? Any advice of any kind greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

hi there,

we are new to this site also, myself and my husband and two children are in the process of migration to perth, we are using an agent who lives in perth herself, we have meet her in already and so far she has been wonderful, you can either go through the embasey in the strand london, or a agent, we choose an agent who lives in are we want to go, the embasy is fine but you have to know what you are doing.

hope this helps and good luck and maybe hear from you soon.

nikki jason

mily and Mark :?

hi Emily and Mark

Like you i'm new to this site.

We started our process of emmigrating to Oz in October. First we filled in our TRA and sent it off in November. It took about 3 weeks to tell us that we had passed. Now we are waiting to hear how are main applicaintion is going. We filled that in and sent if off just after xmas. The agency we are using is Globel 9, they are great and really helpful. Friends of ours used them.

well good luck

Archived