Prospective Marriage subclass 300 visa - wanting some feedback whilst waiting for appointment with agent

Hi all

My partner and I have an appointment later this week to discuss this situation with an agent, however I wanted to get some views from others here if they have any experience in this scenario.

To be eligible for the subclass 300 PMV it says the applicant must not have had a visa cancelled or an application refused. My partner has an issue in that in 2017 he applied for a student visa (subclass 500) and the reason for the refusal was based on him having applied for his application with someone else (this other person was the main applicant for the student visa) and he applied as a member of their family unit. However, this other person did not receive a student visa so on the basis of that, his own application was refused as he was not "a member of a family unit of the primary person...of a holder of subclass 500 student visa". Basically his application could not approved because his application was linked to the other person getting their student visa. (FYI that other person ended up getting a student visa later after reapplying again and is now a PR of Australia)

This is the main issue we want to discuss with the agent. I have seen others write their experiences of having been refused subclass 600 visitor visas (on the basis that it was deemed they did not have sufficient ties to return or they could not demonstrate access to sufficient funds for their duration of their stay) and they were able to apply, and were successful, for the subclass 300 despite this previous application refusal.

Based on the circumstances of his application refusal, I am wondering if he would be considered eligible to apply for the subclass 300 given others who have had refusals. Had he not had this issue in the past, I would be more than confident to do the entire process ourselves but now I'm wondering if we will need to navigate this with the agent.

Thank you all!

4 hours ago, sootynsweep said:

Hi all

My partner and I have an appointment later this week to discuss this situation with an agent, however I wanted to get some views from others here if they have any experience in this scenario.

To be eligible for the subclass 300 PMV it says the applicant must not have had a visa cancelled or an application refused. My partner has an issue in that in 2017 he applied for a student visa (subclass 500) and the reason for the refusal was based on him having applied for his application with someone else (this other person was the main applicant for the student visa) and he applied as a member of their family unit. However, this other person did not receive a student visa so on the basis of that, his own application was refused as he was not "a member of a family unit of the primary person...of a holder of subclass 500 student visa". Basically his application could not approved because his application was linked to the other person getting their student visa. (FYI that other person ended up getting a student visa later after reapplying again and is now a PR of Australia)

This is the main issue we want to discuss with the agent. I have seen others write their experiences of having been refused subclass 600 visitor visas (on the basis that it was deemed they did not have sufficient ties to return or they could not demonstrate access to sufficient funds for their duration of their stay) and they were able to apply, and were successful, for the subclass 300 despite this previous application refusal.

Based on the circumstances of his application refusal, I am wondering if he would be considered eligible to apply for the subclass 300 given others who have had refusals. Had he not had this issue in the past, I would be more than confident to do the entire process ourselves but now I'm wondering if we will need to navigate this with the agent.

Thank you all!

Best to speak to the agent.  Far better to wait a few days than get information from well meaning but not qualified members on here.   It sounds like it’s too important to get wrong. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Best to speak to the agent.  Far better to wait a few days than get information from well meaning but not qualified members on here.   It sounds like it’s too important to get wrong. 

Agree and we will be getting the qualified advice before we proceed. Just wondered more if anyone had been in a similar situation with a previously refused application and were able to apply for a subclass 300. 

• Like 1