Secondary Teacher on 189

GermanTeacher

Hello everyone,

I was always keen on moving to Australia after my Working Holiday in 2016. But I could never reach the high points - 80 points at least. Now it´s quite low in the 65 - 70 points range after Covid and I want to give it a shot. But I am teaching Physical Education and English (as a non-native speaker from Germany) and those are subjects that are not particularly in high demand. Even though I could make the points, would get an invitation with my subjects ? From what I heard they look for Maths, Science or Technology and not Physical Education, so why should they invite me ? I can´t imagine they invite someone they don´t particularly need and rather want someone with subjects in demand.

So my question: Do they look just at the points or also the subects in the 189 ? Should I give it a shot ?

It’s relatively low cost to get a skills assessment and submit an EOI. Have a look at the AITSL criteria for skills assessment and see if you think you’ll pass. You need 4 years at uni and to prove so many days supervised teaching. 

I am a French teacher and got my 189 in 2023 on 65 points so it can be done. 

• 2 months later...
On 24/01/2024 at 17:03, Cheery Thistle said:

It’s relatively low cost to get a skills assessment and submit an EOI. Have a look at the AITSL criteria for skills assessment and see if you think you’ll pass. You need 4 years at uni and to prove so many days supervised teaching. 

I am a French teacher and got my 189 in 2023 on 65 points so it can be done. 

Sounds good. What about the 4,640 AUD visa cost ? Will they just be charged if I get an invitation ? 

1 hour ago, GermanTeacher said:

Sounds good. What about the 4,640 AUD visa cost ? Will they just be charged if I get an invitation ? 

Youe EOI will be free. If you get an invite then you pay for it. Obviously you'll need to get your skills checked first from AITSL.