3-Month Tourist (600) Vs 12-Month Tourist (600) Vs Sponsored Step Parent (870)

roflie

Hi all,

I have my step Dad (living in the UK as a UK resident) wanting to visit for a period of 6 months initially and then a further 3 or 4 months later in the year. All travel to be finished within 12 months. As I understand, my options are. Issue here is he has flights booked for a months time so processing times are of concern;

1. 3-Month Tourist Visa (600). Spend a few days offshore (Fiji/NZ) after three months. Come back for three months. Go back to UK for a couple of months and then back here for 3 months all within the 12 months timeline of the 3-month. This is cost effective from the Visa, he was planning on visiting NZ anyway, and it doesn't require medical/financial type information. Processing time is almost instant. 

2. Apply for a 12-Month extended Tourist visa as he is my step Dad. Hope for unlimited enteries. This doesn't mean we have any issues with on/offshore. costs more and then the financial/health hoops. 

3. Go the Sponsored 870 route and get maybe 2 or 3 years. Lots more expense but sorts us out for a few years. 

Weighing up between options 1 and 2 as currently we are only worried about the next 12 months. I've heard a lot of people take advantage of the 3-month tourist Visa option to go offshore for a couple of days and reset the 3 month timer and that works well. Any experience here? 

All thoughts appreciated. 

Thanks all