UK solicitors moving to Australia?

Nath

I am an E&W qualified solicitor currently on a 482 visa. I don't have an Australian PC and the legal admissions board said I have to sit 5 extra academic courses. Is it possible to transition from a 482 to a 186 via the TRT stream without having a PC? I note this stream does not require a skills assessment. Anyone in the same boat? I would also be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the UK-AUS FTA, notably, the Legal Services Regulatory Dialogue which is looking into the possibility of introducing mutual recognition - if this became functional then it would save the time and cost of having to sit those 5 academic courses. But who knows if and when that will happen...

Thanks in advance.

The regs for the 186 say:

”If it is mandatory, in the State or Territory in which the position to which the application relates is located, that a person:

(a)  hold a licence of a particular kind; or

(b)  hold registration of a particular kind; or

(c)  be a member (or a member of a particular kind) of a particular professional body;

to perform tasks of the kind to be performed in the occupation to which a position relates, the applicant is, or is eligible to become, the holder of the licence, the holder of the registration, or a member of the body, at the time of application.”

Firms on both ends are now much more relaxed about requiring people to requalify, in view of the constant ratcheting-up of the requirements for requalification, and the prospect of mutual recognition under the FTA. Because it's so difficult to requalify, firms don't even bother. So not being locally qualified isn't really an obstacle these days for employees working in commercial law. If you are looking to be a partner, or need to stand up in court, then that's a different matter.

18 minutes ago, Tychen said:

Firms on both ends are now much more relaxed about requiring people to requalify, in view of the constant ratcheting-up of the requirements for requalification, and the prospect of mutual recognition under the FTA. Because it's so difficult to requalify, firms don't even bother. So not being locally qualified isn't really an obstacle these days for employees working in commercial law. If you are looking to be a partner, or need to stand up in court, then that's a different matter.

@Tychen That’s correct, however, in order to get a permanent skilled visa you need to have a local PC.