Catch 22

Guest mikandjoolz

Guest mikandjoolz

We are new to this forum and joined to find out if anyone has found themselves in our predicament. Firstly let me say we have both spent some time in Oz and we are desperate to live there. We are under no illusions about the place and we know we would have no problem settling there. The problem is that I am over 45 so do not count in the Visa process, my wife is over 40 so we are struggling for points age-wise. My wife is a Project Manager working for the Government mostly on IT projects. Our agent thought we may be able to get sponsorship from Victoria as my wife's skills were on their requirement list. They turned us down for some obscure reason but said they may reconsider if my wife had a job offer. We then tried for regional sponsorship from SA, but they have told our agent that they will not sponsor us unless my wife has a firm job offer first (Project Management). Has anyone out there found themselves in a similar situation and is so how did you resolve it ?.

I would ask your agent to enquire of the ACT Government for a Nomination - http://www.business.act.gov.au/servicestobusiness/act_skilled_and_business_migration_program/skilled_migration

Or maybe telephone them yourself? T +61 2 6207 1957.

I had a couple of clients with IT skills obtain Nominations; there are a number of Federal Departments in the ACT and I think there is more likely to be a need for someone with your wife's skills there than in most if not all of the other States and Territories.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi there

WA is experiencing a huge skills shortage and there are a number of restructures happening in the Government Departments. Western Power springs to mind and you may try them. Also, Corporate Services are being amalgamated into a shared services area in WA.

There is a demand for IT professionals here. have you thought about the employer sponsored route and finding an employer to sponsor you to Australia.

Archived