Diploma nurse help

Nurselou282

Hi, I’m new to this forum and just looking for some advice in regards to a uk registered nurse but with a diploma. I’ve got 9 years experience and 7 of those are within the post anaesthetic care setting. But from what I understand I would still not be able to practice in Oz unless I get my degree. 

My question is, does this have to be a top up course to make up the credits? Or can it be done with modules which then equate to the number of degree credits? 

Also, when I have achieved the degree will the experience I have gained over the 9 years not count, and it’s only post degree? 

Any help welcome or any diploma uk nurse with any experience? 
thanks 🙂 

If you top up to the degree all of your post qualification experience is recognised, not just post degree. Also Nz nursing council will register uk diploma trained nurses, and the trans Tasman agreement means you’re then eligible to register in Australia.

No you don’t have to practice in Nz, or even visit to register it’s all online. Their webpage has all the necessary links re costs etc. Having said that topping up to degree level may be worth it for you depending on the time frame in which you’re planning to move. There are diploma qualified nurses working in Australia with no issues but it’s been a graduate profession for decades.

• 2 years later...

Hi I know this is an old post, but I’m trying find out whether my Diploma in nursing and BSC Degree in Public Health Nursing (Health Visiting) is enough to at least get me to Australia even if I can’t get a pin?