DFAT Flight Baggage Allowance for Infants/Children

bicek

Looking for any advice from anyone who has actually flown into Darwin and knows what the baggage allowance is for families. It's a bit unclear as the tickets say one thing but then also include a disclaimer that baggage allowance is different than usual flights and you can't bring as much. I don't want to turn up to the airport and have to chuck half our stuff away!

So please can you advise, if you travelled with kids/infants, what were you allowed to take?

Qantas indicates that for a LAP INFANT, you can bring 1 piece of 10kg luggage,  PLUS 3 additional items in the hold, each weighing up to 32kg, and these can include, carseats, pushchairs, and cots etc. Is this true and does this apply to DFAT flights?

Thank you in advance!!

1 hour ago, bicek said:

Looking for any advice from anyone who has actually flown into Darwin and knows what the baggage allowance is for families. It's a bit unclear as the tickets say one thing but then also include a disclaimer that baggage allowance is different than usual flights and you can't bring as much. I don't want to turn up to the airport and have to chuck half our stuff away!

So please can you advise, if you travelled with kids/infants, what were you allowed to take?

Qantas indicates that for a LAP INFANT, you can bring 1 piece of 10kg luggage,  PLUS 3 additional items in the hold, each weighing up to 32kg, and these can include, carseats, pushchairs, and cots etc. Is this true and does this apply to DFAT flights?

Thank you in advance!!

It's 30kg checked baggage and 7kg hand luggage. What date did u get on pal?

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/08/2021 at 13:40, bicek said:

Thank you in advance!!

I'd love to know what the answer was in the end here @bicek....

Sorry, picking your brain here!

18 minutes ago, GuyPB said:

I'd love to know what the answer was in the end here @bicek....

Sorry, picking your brain here!

Yes I can confirm that you can take several infant items like strollers and car seats! If only someone had been able to confirm this for me before I flew. We followed qantas guidelines for repatriation flights and took just a 10kg hold bag for our infant. Turns out we could have brought the Stroller, travel cot etc.. I was pretty distraught when I found this out at the check in desk. But without knowing, we couldn't risk bringing it all and then having to throw it away at check in if they'd been strict. Hard to say if they were just being kind on that occasion but I think you'd be OK to take regular items for your infant. If only I had!! We've got to wait 3-6 months for our stroller to arrive on the ship. Lots of ergo carrying for us.... 🙄 

Hope this was useful for you 👍