491 Offshore Application

Hi all,

I submitted offshore application (with PCC and medicals) in June 2021 and since then my application is under “Further Assessment”.

Today, I got an email to update an expired PCC, I have spoken to my agent and he said it is very tricky that even I re-applied for PPC and get visa granted, I will NOT be allowed to enter Australia until border opens (FYI, my occupation is not under critical category and I don’t think I can get exemption for travelling to Oz). The problem is that 5 years of 491 will be starting counted at the time of visa granted. 

My agent proposed to send the request letter to the to request them NOT to grand my visa until the border opens. May I know if anyone have tried that, before visa granted?  Or it is simply out of our control?  

Thank you.

Hi, 

You may have got the date wrong 06/21, but why would your agent submit an application with a pcc that was close to expiring. Also the agent dissuading you to provide the info for a possible grant outcome that still may take another year to finalise. Bizarre. 

In my humble opinion I would do anything to get my grant, remember it's a competition for spots, who knows you may have to wait until after July next year should they use up their current quota before "borders open".  There are hundreds of old applicants, with new ones joining every second. So anything to one up I would bite their hand off. 

Also you say that you got an email, I trust you mean the agent communicated this to you? Or who is exactly in charge of your application. I get not wanting to waste days, but nothing is certain until you get approved. Not all adds up. 

Thank You Southlander! Yes that was a typo, should be June 2020. My application was submitted in Feb 2020, with medicals and PCCs submitted in May-Jun 2020. I am sure my PCC was expired therefore I received an email from CO to update my PCC.  

My agent handled my application and he was the key contact with IMMI department. Based on his experience, CO will only request to update PCC and medicals right before the visa grant, that's why he worries that even I will be granted a visa soon, I cannot travel to Australia due to border closure. But thank you for your suggestion, you are right, I should consider competing the spots with all those backlogs plus the newly submitted applications.

I am from Hong Kong and not sure if the fast tracking of my application is related to this news: https://www.sbs.com.au/chinese/english/federal-government-confirms-fast-tracking-of-hong-kong-skilled-visa-applications

Thanks for clearing up though there was a typo. 

Looking at your link it may have played into your favour being from HK, but if they were also going by global processing times, you are over the threshold so could've been your time anyway. If they have put Hong Kong in priority processing category it would not make sense for them to not allow you in! That goes for anyone who has a visa granted, especially if it has time constraints. If I was you I would get my visa signed and sealed and let everyone else compete for the difference. Ultimately this is your choice and do what you feel comfortable with 👍

They are saying phase C to allow students and skilled applicants in, with "high caps", and phase D to open the borders to all. So you may be 6/7 months into your visa before entering and as little as 4 with any luck. 

All the best. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, want to share a good news here, I have got my VISA GRANT yesterday:

491 SA OFFSHORE (non-PMSOL occupation)
VETASSESS’s Result: 2 Sep 2019
EOI submission: 4 Dec 2019
State nomination: 16 Jan 2020
Application lodged: 7 Feb 2020
CO Contact: 11 Mar 2020 (requested PCC and health check)
Health check: 24 Apr 2020
PCC sent: 23 Jun 2020
Renew PCC sent: 7 Sep 2021
VISA GRANT: 22 Sep 2021

• Congratulations 1