AITSL accreditation for ECT

Mel1995

Hey everyone, I am currently studying my Diploma at a College in Brisbane, then thinking about going to tafe, getting credit for the Diploma and study another 2,5 years to get the Bachelor of early childhood education. Then I'd like to apply for the 189 or 190.
I am wondering if AITSL would accept the Bachelor, as on their website it states I'd need 4 years of higher education studies, but my Diploma would not count towards it as far as I know??
Even though I do have a Bachelor in the end and Tafe accepted the units I had at college so why would they not be good enough.. It says an advanced Diploma would count, but there is no advanced Diploma in ECE anymore..

Any information would be greatly appreciated, AITSL is not helping, unfortunately.. So I am currently in the dark whether I would get a positive skills assessment with the Bachelor or not.

Thanks in advance, Melanie

@Mel1995, I am not sure how many ECTs are on this forum. If there’s many, I’d love to know where they’ve been hiding 😄 

To your question, first have you checked if your diploma is ACECQA approved? I am sure there’s a way that’s AITSL can honour an approved one. https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/nqf-approved

Also, have you looked at AITSL’s ‘Assessment for Migration Applicant Checklist’ and ‘Assessment for Migration Guide to applying for a skills assessment’ downloads? It talks about proof of supervised teaching prac statement from affiliated colleges, schools or training providers not being accepted. Not sure how this affects you with your college amongst other things.

If it were me I’d skip TAFE and go straight for the degree as it’s less paperwork for them to pick at and your chances are better (in my opinion) of getting a positive skills assessment. Personally after researching what it took to get a skills assessment, I chose to redo my qualifications with a 4 year degree as opposed to attempting to get my previous diploma recognised. It turned out much easier for me this way. Not sure if this is helpful but have a dig around their website. 

Hello, it says this on their documents:
'at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study of Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher initial teacher education'

And then: 'Other higher education qualification/s contributing to the four years of study must be comparable to the educational level of an Australian Advanced Diploma/Associate Degree (Australian Qualifications Framework Level 6) or higher.'
Tafe is actually accredited as a higher education provider, but my College wouldn't. So I am wondering if they would really not accept my Bachelor, although I have studied 4 years full-time and Tafe is accredited. Only issue is that I got credit for a Diploma, because there is no advanced Diploma existing in ECT :(.

And have you studied ECT as well? Are you currently still in the process of applying?

Hi

I’m an ECT and gained a 489 visa this route from the UK. It has to be four years full time (or part time equivalent) university level study. I ended up having to do an extra year in order to fulfil the criteria. So I have a 3 year degree and one year PGCE. For my visa (because it’s state sponsored) I also had to have experience and proof of the required experience. 

Not sure if I’ve helped or just told you what you already know to be honest. Hope you get sorted. 

Edited by JRC

Hello @JRC

Thanks for your comment! It kinda confirmed what I already suspected :D..  They prob won't accept my 2,5 years of university studies + 2 years of college studies as a combination :(. 
May I ask if you did the 3-year degree in the UK or Australia? And what PGCE did you do?

Thanks in advance!

I completed it all in the UK (you do gain more points for studying in Aus). My degree is a three year BA in Primary Education (QTS) and the PGCE is in early years education (EYTS) all my work experience has been with children between 2 and 7 years plus placements with children aged between 0-11 years and they require proof of your placements too. I lost points for experience too because the discounted any experience gained before I completed my PGCE (I had already been a qualified teacher in the UK for a number of years). 

6 hours ago, Mel1995 said:

@JRC One last question 😄
Did you do the post-graduate Certificate at a College or at a university/tafe? 🙂
Thanks in advance!

It was at university.

It is a super frustrating process for the teaching route as they are really specific with their requirements. When I undertook the overseas qualification check with the south Australia teachers registration board it was nice to finally have someone in aus take into consideration all my experience as it felt completely discredited with aitsl.