home contents insurance for renters-how much will it cost?

mellyholly

hi

moving to Australia later in the year and trying to gauge how much I should budget for with home insurance. will be renting, so its just contents insurance. tried to do online comparison however it requests an Australian address. whilst I know I can't fully know until I arrive, and put in my details. just wondering if anyone can give me a rough indication what they pay roughly as car insurance seems so much higher than UK car insurance. just a rough guide of how you pay if you don't mind sharing. I know it depends on how much stuff is worth etc and where I will live but I currently pay 200pounds a year in UK and wondering if 400 Ozzie dollars would be about right too?

thanks 

It's been a few years but my last Contents insurance premium from when we were renting was $182.59. That was with Allianz in 2016 for an apartment in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Might cost more for a House (or possibly less I'm not really sure how the risk profiles compare) and obviously will vary depending on location and sum insured. Latest policy (for a house in the far Melbourne Suburbs) was $495.62 with Budget Direct but that includes Buildings Insurance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

It's been a few years but my last Contents insurance premium from when we were renting was $182.59. That was with Allianz in 2016 for an apartment in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Might cost more for a House (or possibly less I'm not really sure how the risk profiles compare) and obviously will vary depending on location and sum insured. Latest policy (for a house in the far Melbourne Suburbs) was $495.62 with Budget Direct but that includes Buildings Insurance.

thanks very much for replying Ken. I think if I say 250-300 Ozzie dollars for the year for contents insurance to add to the budget, this might be about right then.