What about the snakes?

Guest gail.crease

Guest gail.crease

I hear lots about spiders but what about the snakes? Can you sunbathe in your garden without the fear of something slithering or crawling over you? Or do you have to keep one eye open on watch all the time? Anyone had any bad experiences of spiders or snakes yet? I know I can run fast if needs be but worried about the kids more as they are so young.

I hear lots about spiders but what about the snakes? Can you sunbathe in your garden without the fear of something slithering or crawling over you? Or do you have to keep one eye open on watch all the time? Anyone had any bad experiences of spiders or snakes yet? I know I can run fast if needs be but worried about the kids more as they are so young.

Depends where you are going to want to live...

Snakes don't like cities. I have been here ten years... never seen one in an urban area yet. Now, that doesn't mean that they won't live in parks or on riverbanks...but they are mostly smart enoght not to come ointo gardens... and way smart enough not to lve on the streets.... If you are really, really worried, don't have long grass.

Spiders... well, most houses will have a few...and mostly pretty harmless ones. You can always spry the place if you are worried.

As for me...the giggest pain in the @r$3?...the bloody ants!!! :?

Fraser is right abou thte snakes but it alsom depends on were you are moving to..For instance Qland as a bigger range of psionous snakes whlst other areas hae a smaller range..Most snakes will dissapear if they hear you, however Tiger snakes are a different matter..aggressive little blighters..

Saying all this - on my second day of work here in Perth one slithered across in front of me. :D

Guest DrBread

I live in country Victoria, and take regular mountain bike rides out along the countryside tracks and trails. In 2 and a half years here I have never seen a snake in the wild, you can often hear them and watch the grass wave as they slither away from you though. In my experience they won't search you out, but go out of their way to avoid human contact. If a snake hears you approach it will try to escape. they only get dangerous when they feel threatened. Give them warning that you are approaching (ie don't creep around in the countryside) and don't do anything stupid like marching through long grass, always stick to the tracks and you'll be OK. If you see a snake back away slowly and give it chance to escape.

We were worried about spiders and snakes at first, but we got a local pest controller to spray our house (it cost about $300) when we started getting too many Whitetails in the bedrooms, that kept them out all summer.

Don't know about snakes, but I got an email from my sister today to say that she and her OH were in the Flinders Range National Park driving carefully a to avoid the roos, when one decided to end it all with the help of their hire car. Cost them $4400, but they got a replacement which was sideswiped by a truck the next day whilst she was posting her Xmas cards

Guest DeanandJo

Hi

The book we have found quite usefull is

TAKE CARE poisonous Australian animals

It is by Dr Struan Sutherland and Susie Kennewell

I think we got it from Tesco online or amazon, cant remember which,it gives descriptions and what to do if bitten etc

Cheers Jo

does anyone know of any good books that will identify and educate about spiders snakes and other crawly animals

My favorite is Dangerous Creatures of Australia (Green Guides)

by Marty Robinson which I got from Amazon for about £6.

best wishes

Debbie :)

Archived