Travel Health Insurance

Maggs Davison

Hi Everyone - this is my first post so I hope I'm using it correctly 🙂 

I've applied for a contributory parent visa 870 which I'm told will take up to 4 years to process.  To overcome this my migration consultant suggested I could apply for a 5 year tourist visa and I am currently going through the process which will allow me to move to Oz and remain there while awaiting approval of my application (though I need to be out of the country at the time it is approved). 

The tourist visa requires me to have health insurance in place before they will approve my application.  Can anyone recommend an insurance company who could provide this?  Everything I have found online is geared towards travellers and short term cover.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/health/adequate-health-insurance

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, I am moving to Meadow Springs south of Perth on my own and if anyone else here is heading in the same direction and would like to meet for coffee please let me know.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The 870 is not the same as a contributory parent visa (and the processing time is nowhere near 4 years) - so it's not 100% clear what visa you have applied for.

A long term visitor visa would allow you to stay in Australia for 12 months out of every 18, not full time. The 870 is a five year, temporary parent visa, so perhaps you are saying you have applied for the 870 visa as an interim measure whilst waiting for the permanent parent visa?

In either case you do need "visitor" health cover (OVHC), which is for temporary residents, even longer term temporary residents. If you Google "Overseas Visitor Health Cover" you will get a long list including BUPA, Allianz and the other usual suspects. These companies are expert at providing cover that complies with immigration requirements.