Contracting & 6 month limit

Tindog

I'm currently contracting on a WHV, and intend to be doing this until February (at various companies) assuming I get the work in.

Is the 6 month limit consecutive, or in total?

E.g hypothetically, if I worked with Company A for 2 months, travelled for a month after the contract end date, then renewed the contract for a further 3 months upon my return - would this count as 5 months with Company A, or 6 months?

I ask as I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle potential contract extensions around my travel plans. I've read mixed things online.

22 hours ago, Tindog said:

I'm currently contracting on a WHV, and intend to be doing this until February (at various companies) assuming I get the work in.

Is the 6 month limit consecutive, or in total?

E.g hypothetically, if I worked with Company A for 2 months, travelled for a month after the contract end date, then renewed the contract for a further 3 months upon my return - would this count as 5 months with Company A, or 6 months?

I ask as I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle potential contract extensions around my travel plans. I've read mixed things online.

It's cumulative, so in your example, assuming there was a clean break between the contracts, then 5 months. However, breaks between periods of work in circumstances where the employment arrangement is ongoing - for example, paid or unpaid leave was granted - count toward the 6 month total. 

On 17/04/2019 at 10:36, paulhand said:

It's cumulative, so in your example, assuming there was a clean break between the contracts, then 5 months. However, breaks between periods of work in circumstances where the employment arrangement is ongoing - for example, paid or unpaid leave was granted - count toward the 6 month total. 

Thanks for the info paulhand. I was hoping that would be the case!

Edited by Tindog