Setting out engineer from UK want to move to Australia !

tomwebber

I am looking for advice on a way to gain the relevant qualifications via assessments, which would allow me the chance to emigrate to Australia.

I have been working as a setting out engineer with a heavy civils background for 23 years. I started as an apprentice with a small engineering company but due to the company folding never officially finished it. I was then a chain person for four years with an extremely experienced civil engineer, on some prestigious projects. His meticulous training and insistence on checking provided me with a great basis to build a successful career (ironically he is now enjoying the sun in Oz).

In the last 5 years my role has naturally progressed into a more senior position. As mentioned I am job trained with no academic qualifications for this role, I have however recently gained an NVQ level 6 diploma in Construction Site Management. I am a very experienced, confident and competent engineer with plenty of references, any assistance/advice would be very much appreciated.

Have you checked out the migrant guidelines with Engineers Australia?  be aware that Australia is a lot more rigorous in who can call themselves an engineer than the UK.  

Here's the relevant part of the EA website:
https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/For-Migrants/Migration-Skills-Assessment

They are quite helpful, though they do state in black and white:

"Candidates for articulation often feel that their work experience has enabled them to develop and demonstrate most of the practice competencies associated with the category to which they aspire, ie their target category. However, they must also demonstrate Stage 1 Competency – the breadth and depth of knowledge and enabling skills appropriate to that category. Without the relevant educational qualification, demonstration of Stage 1 competency can be difficult. It is certainly possible to develop extensive knowledge in ways other than a formal educational program, for example through experiential learning and self-study, but it has proved unusual for such pathways to provide the full range of Stage 1 Competencies, for example in the natural and physical sciences. Despite their years of experience, many candidates for articulation need to undertake some further academic study to fully develop their Stage 1 Competencies."

Stage 1 Competency is basically the proof that you are qualified.

Edited by Eera