Hornsby / Pennant Hills

fjm

I’m looking for info on living in the above suburbs - or any surrounding suburbs anyone would recommend.  My husband will be working the CBD so we are looking for a rental property with approx 1hr commute.  

We need a 3+ bed house with reasonable sized garden. With good schools and a nice area to bring up kids.  Our children are 13 and 11 so we are primarily looking at secondary schools although, I believe my youngest would have to finish her last year of primary in Australia again (she’s currently yr 7 in UK) before starting secondary in 2020? She is August born so will be just turned 12 when we arrive in August.

Our budget is approx $500 - $600/wk and I have found some reasonable properties in the above suburbs within this budget - but we have no knowledge of the area. 

• 2 weeks later...

That may  well be possible, but in general you might find you need to up your rental budget, as everyone does here. But also - in most cases you get paid a bit more and can afford the extra rent. It just balances out somehow around Sydney.

Other than that I'd be a little bit flexible, maybe make peace with the idea of maybe moving after a while if you don't quite like the suburb you have picked first time. we've been here over 3.5 years and have lived in 3 different suburbs, although the latest suburb is the next one along from the one we were living in previously. 

What I really mean by this is only you can know what's right for you, and it's hard to know until you spend spend time over here. Research on the web only gets you so far. Different suburbs differ greatly as far as i an tell, and everyone has their own needs. For us we like a balance of good lifestyle and lot of things to do locally, balanced with good transport options for work and schools. We also like the beach i summer as it's really hot and we need to keep cool to keep sane 🙂

Most schools here are pretty decent I think. We've just always use state/public schools and our kids are doing just fine. Good luck!

Edited by Captain Roberto
  • Like 1