Engineer technologist Sydney accord questions

CapitalS

Hi, I have some questions which I really hope someone here can answer! We have been considering emigrating for many years and have collected documents etc in preparation for several years! We have finally decided that this is the right time for us to actually go ahead but of course the points goal posts have changed. We were originally going to apply with me as a secondary teacher which seemed the more straightforward route but now I am 5 points short and no way to pick up any more so we are going to try my partner as the main applicant who is an electrical designer.

His path seems much more complex. Our questions are:

he has an HNC electronic and electrical engineering from 1997 which is on the accredited list for Sydney accord for an engineer technologist status (we have all the documentation  and confirmation that goes along with this from Sydney accord IEng) but on the EA flowchart it suggests that if the course was completed pre Sydney accord agreement in 2001 then he has to go the CDR route? 

Obviously if we don’t have to write up the CDR that would be preferred but we will if that’s what it needs!

Our second question is regarding qualification points. How many can he claim? The Sydney accord means that the HNC he did (because it had a project module) gives him technologist status which implies his course is equivalent to 3 year bachelor so gaining 15 points? Have we got this right? Again anyone with any experience with any idea on the rules please help!!! 

Lastly, Does anyone have any experience writing the CDR that could point us in the right direction of how to approach it? 

Time is running out for us (we are getting old!!) and the extra points would allow us to scrape 70 and a chance albeit a slim one of being invited to apply for a visa!

Thank you!!

S

Our second question is regarding qualification points. How many can he claim? 

From what you have posted, probably 10.

Lastly, Does anyone have any experience writing the CDR that could point us in the right direction of how to approach it? 

Have you studied the EA MSA booklet?

Thank you for replying. The points confusion for me is that if your course is recognised by Sydney accord the this is equivalent to 3 years bachelor degree. I was hoping maybe someone who had been assessed by EA would know the answer to this.

we have studied the MSA booklet on the EA site but still unsure how to go about writing a career epsode and linking to the competencies....

Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)

U.K. Qualification Level (NVQ & GNVQ)

Certificate I

Certificate II

NVQ 1/GNVQ Foundation

Certificate III

NVQ 2/GNVQ Intermediate

Certificate IV

Diploma

NVQ 3/Higher National Cerificate

Advanced Diploma

NVQ 4/Higher National Diploma

Bachelor Degree

Equivalent

Graduate Certificate

Equivalent

Graduate Diploma

NVQ 4

Masters Degree

Equivalent

Doctoral Degree

Equivalent

Edited by wrussell

I spoke with EA this morning so thought I would update just in case anyone is in this situation in the future...

I was advised that, although the uk recognise these accredited courses as being equivalent to 3 year bachelor, Australia consider it a grey area which is why it’s so difficult to find any info! If your  HNC/HND is on the accredited list but before 2001 you still need to go the CDR route but if they deem your qualifications and experience to be at engineer technologist level then you can claim 15 points for qualification.