489 to PR question

annagilda

Hey gang, just a really quick question, I'm still a fair way out from meeting the time commitment of my 489, but it's already flying fast and I've done more than I thought I had! 

When you get to the stage where you are able to go from a 489 to PR, do you have to undergo a new medical or does your original medical that you did for the 489 still stand? 

Also, how much of an in depth process is it in general? Do they want your inside leg measurements all over again or is it a bit watered down because you have essentially done all of the same things that PR applicants do, just to get the 489 in the first place? 

Thanks an absolute million! 

Anna. ? 

• Like 1

Your medical is valid for 12 months so your original medical will not be accepted for a new application if it's more than 12 months old. I'm currently waiting on a 186 visa (transition from the old 457) and I had to repeat the exact same medical that I had for the initial 457 visa, including chest x-rays, blood tests and a physical check up by a doctor.

Hope this helps ?

• Thanks 1