Skills Assessment..

AlanC

Hi All..... Need some help as we're not sure how to approach this one...

Work experience: 2 employers since leaving university.. Employer 1 - 1997 to 2006.... Employer 2 - 2006 to Present.

The first employer has been bought out by a new company so I am not sure who I would contact for a reference... Would a copy of my contract of employment and a letters showing start date and the date employment ended suffice?

Current employer... How do we get a reference, which effectively tells the employer that theres an intention to leave at some point? Don't want to jeopardise current job incase Visa application is unsuccessful...

Please help....

2 hours ago, AlanC said:

Hi All..... Need some help as we're not sure how to approach this one...

Work experience: 2 employers since leaving university.. Employer 1 - 1997 to 2006.... Employer 2 - 2006 to Present.

The first employer has been bought out by a new company so I am not sure who I would contact for a reference... Would a copy of my contract of employment and a letters showing start date and the date employment ended suffice?

Current employer... How do we get a reference, which effectively tells the employer that theres an intention to leave at some point? Don't want to jeopardise current job incase Visa application is unsuccessful...

Please help....

Hi Alan

I'm just about ready to hand in all my documents for stage 1 of my skill assessment. I've worked at the same company since leaving school 20 years ago.

I think a reference from your current employer will be enough as it's for 12 years anyway, and I think they only really look at the past 10 years anyway.

I had to tell my director last Monday what my plans where and he has given me everything that I need. I'm the works supervisor which doesn't help but he just told me that when and if I have a date when I'm leaving then we will take things from there.

Unfortunately  you will have to speak to your boss as you need that reference.

Also bare in mind that when you pay for stage 1 of your skills assessment you only have 14 days to submit your evidence.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hi Alan

I'm just about ready to hand in all my documents for stage 1 of my skill assessment. I've worked at the same company since leaving school 20 years ago.

I think a reference from your current employer will be enough as it's for 12 years anyway, and I think they only really look at the past 10 years anyway.

I had to tell my director last Monday what my plans where and he has given me everything that I need. I'm the works supervisor which doesn't help but he just told me that when and if I have a date when I'm leaving then we will take things from there.

Unfortunately  you will have to speak to your boss as you need that reference.

Also bare in mind that when you pay for stage 1 of your skills assessment you only have 14 days to submit your evidence.

Hi... Thanks for the info..

Problem is.. We are 43 and 47, visa applicant 43... Currently in a management role and the last thing we'd want to do is risk the job... Answer directly to the director so would be saying that if the visa is granted i'm off, that is a big risk cause if it isn't I fear it could ruin everything..... I understand the Australian ACS need to access skills/employment etc but this is a real risk..... Was hoping there would be another alternative.... grr...

1 minute ago, AlanC said:

Hi... Thanks for the info..

Problem is.. We are 43 and 47, visa applicant 43... Currently in a management role and the last thing we'd want to do is risk the job... Answer directly to the director so would be saying that if the visa is granted i'm off, that is a big risk cause if it isn't I fear it could ruin everything..... I understand the Australian ACS need to access skills/employment etc but this is a real risk..... Was hoping there would be another alternative.... grr...

You can go to a direct manager I think instead of a director but that's depending if there's anyone like that above you. There's a good chance that they will contact them as well.

For me it was straight to the director and I'm fortunate that he took it well.

8 minutes ago, Lavers said:

You can go to a direct manager I think instead of a director but that's depending if there's anyone like that above you. There's a good chance that they will contact them as well.

For me it was straight to the director and I'm fortunate that he took it well.

Yeah for me it would be straight to Director as well as thats my immediate superior...... This is a nightmare, finally get everything else that maybe an issue sorted then this pops up and maybe the biggest stumbling block of all.... Tell and risk all if the visa is unsuccessful.... Sounds like your employer is understanding....

20 minutes ago, AlanC said:

Yeah for me it would be straight to Director as well as thats my immediate superior...... This is a nightmare, finally get everything else that maybe an issue sorted then this pops up and maybe the biggest stumbling block of all.... Tell and risk all if the visa is unsuccessful.... Sounds like your employer is understanding....

I've been there since I was a kid and always done whatever I can to help the business.

You've been there a good few years so hopefully they will be just as understanding with you.

It's not like your moving to another company and being disloyal your are trying to create a new life for yourself.

Unfortunately though I don't see anyway around it for you.

46 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I've been there since I was a kid and always done whatever I can to help the business.

You've been there a good few years so hopefully they will be just as understanding with you.

It's not like your moving to another company and being disloyal your are trying to create a new life for yourself.

Unfortunately though I don't see anyway around it for you.

I know and you are absolutely right.... Just worried about risking a job thats been worked hard for and really enjoyed incase the Visa is unsuccessful.... Just a pity it cant be done later in the process when you can be more confident it will be granted.......  hey theme the rules, just have to decide how much we want this chance........ Unfortunately it isn't just my decision...

10 hours ago, Barry1986 said:

They are only looking for 8 years out of the last ten in your chosen occupation. Not sure if you can do a statutory declaration for your employment. Someone else may confirm this.

Barry1986, your a star my friend... I had never considered that as an option but will look into it... Thanks again...