Money Money Money

Guest Buzz

Guest Buzz

So i need to ask this question is it really true that it is extremely expensive in oz at the moment ? we are not looking at living in a capital we are looking at living around the geelong area 1 hour away from melbourne is it still extremely expensive once you get outta the citys. I seem to get 2 different views all the time on here, one is it is disgustingly expensive and the other is that its cheap and wonderful. I dont expect to come out and not work and be at the beach all the time but it would be nice to get a true opinion of oz and not one of someone who is dissillusioned with the place and in that respect not a view of an over optimistic person AAAgghh Please help

Regrads Buzz:GEEK:

Guest sweetpea0701

Is anywhere cheap anymore ??? I think the answer is No.

We were in Perth in December, and I was shocked how much things have gone up in price since my visit 12mths prior.

That said, it is on a par with the UK.

Fuel is slightly cheaper than UK, but when you are living by the $ it is expensive.

Food shopping is about the same as the Uk, but with some things being slightly more expensive. If you want UK brands (which I don't), they are really highly priced.

As an example, we would go out for brekkie quite alot, and we were spending approx $40 (£20)....so when I live there it will only be as a treat !

Meals can costs as little or as much as you want I guess.

I think utilities are about the same as UK, broadband I think is more expensive...

Generally, I think it more or less the same as UK...Not sure what other people think.

Good Luck

Guest Pinhead

Don't believe everything you read on this site, there are a number of posters here who have an axe to grind. Best bet is to do your own research.

If anything the cost of things goes up the further you get away from a large city (ex housing) due to the high transport costs.

Guest sweetpea0701
Don't believe everything you read on this site, there are a number of posters here who have an axe to grind. Best bet is to do your own research.

If anything the cost of things goes up the further you get away from a large city (ex housing) due to the high transport costs.

Pinhead...hope this wasn't aimed @ me.......

Just giving my view from my recent visit....but I do agree with you, doing your own research is a good way of checking as sometimes this site can scare the pants off you....

My view is Life is never easy ...and @ the end of the day we have to work hard to make it all work...

Guest Pinhead
Pinhead...hope this wasn't aimed @ me.......

Just giving my view from my recent visit....but I do agree with you, doing your own research is a good way of checking as sometimes this site can scare the pants off you....

My view is Life is never easy ...and @ the end of the day we have to work hard to make it all work...

No certainly not aimed at you.

Guest jonseywife

Being realistic, things have gone up the world over and Australia is no exception. It also depends where you choose to live, what your profession is, how many of you in your family and what your financial situation is when you come over.

Here in Mt Martha were paying $1.60 for petrol (was $1.30 when we came over 6 months ago)

Property and land has gone sky high (as its a beautiful area, you have to pay a premium to live here)

Food is about the same as the UK although fruit and veg choice is better and the meat is definately cheaper and better quality.

Phone, internet & foxtel is dearer than UK.

Gas & electric seems cheaper (for us anyways, and there is 6 of us in the household)

Days out, having a coffee, visits to zoo's, cinemas etc., are all much cheaper than the UK.

There is always lots to see and do here and some of it for free, so just make the most of your spare time.

We didnt come over with big bucks and hubby is a traddie and working long hours, like most Aussie's, so its certainly not all sun, sea and fun, but its what you do out of work that makes it all worth while. Priceless ............... :yes:

Guest earlswood

Pinhead....why are you such an angry man.:no:

Guest earlswood

I cannot belive how expensive bread and chicken is over here, drinks in bars are more expensive than in the UK including beer:sad:

Guest guest17301

Man you seem obsessed with the price of chicken and beer! Eat and drink something else then!

Guest daveintaiwan
Man you seem obsessed with the price of chicken and beer! Eat and drink something else then!

Guinness is the answer - a meal and a beer all in one!:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood

Hey:idea:I might just try that.

but what:mask:

Guest snowler
Guinness is the answer - a meal and a beer all in one!:biglaugh:

A meal in a glass! You can survive for days on Guiness!

Guest guest17301

How about a nice bottle of Aussie white (cheap!) and a massive piece of steak (also cheap!)

Guest earlswood
How about a nice bottle of Aussie white (cheap!) and a massive piece of steak (also cheap!)

If it's cheap fiona...it's skippy steaks..belive me.

aust_kangaroo_steak.jpg

Guest guest17301

Ha Ha , no way! Thats so funny.:biglaugh: Poor old skippy :shocked:

I'll just have the wine then .

Guest EvieB

From our recent visits and discussions with my sister who lives in Melbourne, I would say Jonseywife has it about right. Swings and roundabouts really. My own feeling regarding food is that it really depends on what you eat - packaged and convenience food seems to more expensive but the meat is superb and certainly cheaper. Where I live in the UK, the only accessible supermarket(to someone who works long hours like I do and therefore has limited time) is a Waitrose so the food seems cheap in comparison!

We are visiting Geelong in 5/6 weeks time so I will report back. If you want to know anything specific, let me know.

And I wouldn't call Pinhead an angry man, actually...

Archived