Citizenship Changes 1st July 2018?

persianharry

Hello, I would like to bump this thread.

We received our PR whilst in England and validated the visas in August 2016, and I was wondering if we have to wait until August 2020 before applying for citizenship?

The requirements are quite strict and myself and my husband have been travelling in and out of the country since 2016. This being said the current requirements state that we must have:

• have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
  • been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

Can anyone advice if we can apply any sooner as we have already been in & out of the country several weeks travelling etc?

Many thanks Jade

Edited by jadee

1 hour ago, jadee said:

Hello, I would like to bump this thread.

We received our PR whilst in England and validated the visas in August 2016, and I was wondering if we have to wait until August 2020 before applying for citizenship?

The requirements are quite strict and myself and my husband have been travelling in and out of the country since 2016. This being said the current requirements state that we must have:

• have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
  • been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

Can anyone advice if we can apply any sooner as we have already been in & out of the country several weeks travelling etc?

Many thanks Jade

As mentioned in your message, you must have lived in Australia for 4 years with no more than 12 months outside the country and have not been out of the country for more than 90 days before applying.

You have to wait til August 2020 to satisfy the 4 years and your out of the country travel should not be more than 12 months, otherwise, you may need to wait longer.

Please note that this is as per the current rules.

You can use the link to determine your eligibility: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/retu/residence-calculator

Edited by Zet01

On 16/07/2018 at 22:59, persianharry said:

Does anyone know if the proposed changes to citizenship timeline etc. came into effect from 1st July as proposed?  I haven't seen anything about it being voted on in either house?

We are on a 489 visa so it affects our ability to get citizenship by about 3 years!

As far as I am aware nothing has changed as yet  . I have a friend whom applied for citizenship earlier this year so before the proposed changes of 1st July 2018 and has just  recieved their invite for interview and test only this week  . The test for them will be the same as we took over a few years ago . I also had a friend whom applied for citizenship last year just before the proposed changes of 1st July 2017 they was put on hold for invite to interview until the proposal which was then  declined . They then sat the interview and test a few months after , so from that I would say at the moment nothing has changed and it’s is still the same test