Insurance when moving

J-J

Not sure if this is really in the right thread.....

I was wondering if anyone knew any insurance companies that would provide long term 'travel' insurance for luggage (contents) and medical while getting settled in Australia?

Realistically we expect if to be a few months before we get jobs and our own place in Aus so in the mean time will be staying with family and friends who have kindly offered to put us up.

We will have a lot of valuables on us (laptops, Ipads, Mobiles, Jewelry etc) that probably wont be covered on our friends house insurance plus there is the medical aspect.

Any pointers greatly appreciated. 

7 hours ago, J-J said:

Thanks, I did look at this but the claim amounts don't cover enough. 

Same here mate, please post back if you have found anything useful and I will do the same.

Been searching for 1-way travel insurance to cover myself while getting sorted in Australia; but most of the UK insurance online quote systems are not friendly towards 1-way / emigration policies.

Haven't found anything that can simply provide a one-way quote as the pricing is all based around the return dates.

Would appreciate if anyone else has any advice.

Cheers.

Would you not sign up for Medicare once you arrive? And then use the health system available to you. 

We stayed with family when we arrived. 6 months in their house and shed. We never worried about insurance (and we had phones, laptops etc). I guess it would have been possible to have taken out our own  policy once here though. Perhaps investigate that.

I don’t see how you can migrate but use a ‘travel’ insurance from the UK. If you migrate most companies generally don’t offer travel insurance and only a few offer one way but iirc this ends soon after arriving in Aus.