Egibility for Citizenship

mhib

Hi Forum,

Unusual case here. I am a Kiwi who is married to an Australian currently living in the UK. I lived and worked in Australia between 2007-2012 and married my partner there in 2012. Then in late 2012 I moved to the UK and I have been living there ever since. However, I am now looking to relocate back to Australia at the end of the year. Now I know that Kiwis who lived and worked in Australia for over 5 years (I think) can apply for citizenship. Would I be eligible to apply? Given that I have not lived there fore few years. I the meantime i maintained an Australian Bank Account and have regularely lodged any tax returns.

Thanks

I think you might be confusing citizenship with a PR visa.

Most New Zealanders live in Australia on a special temp visa but it's now possible to get a PR visa if you've lived here for more than 5 years. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/citi/pathways-processes/application-options/new-zealand-citizen

Once you have a PR visa you can qualify for Australian citizenship after (currently) 1 year or potentially 4 years if the planned changes to the law go through. 

I also think you need to satisfy residential requirements - not sure you'd get the PR visa if you're not living here.