Flight Prices Aus (Melb) to UK at Christmas (best time to book)

EJMac

Hi All, we're looking to book a trip back to UK for Christmas this year, does anyone know what a 'good' price would be? I know it is loads more expensive at Christmas, but I've been looking daily on sky scanner and I've seen some around $1600 with Etihad which seems a good deal, I'm keen to buy them but don't want to find them cheaper a few months down the line...

I know there are a lot of factors in the prices but  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on when the best time to book is and what sort of price to expect to pay?

Thanks in advance!

Is that $1600 return? If so, seems like a good deal to me. 

TBH the later you leave it then there is a greater chance the cheaper deals will be gone. And if you want to plan properly, you can't really leave it to chance in terms of booking last minute and hoping for a good deal. 

I tend to go with book when it feels best (stack up what flights are in Nov before price increase and other peak times such as over UK summer to give you an idea of the possible price difference) and if you are ok with it, book it and don't check back in a few months to see what you could have saved. Serves no purpose really to keep on looking once you've bought. 

I have just booked 2 weeks ago to go back in Dec and got a flight with Cathay Pacific for $1460 return Brisbane to Gatwick. Gatwick suits me but could have gone Heathrow for same price.  I am able to go early 11 th Dec and leave New Year's Day.  Had been looking for a while with price alerts and that was the best deal.  Sure it will go up as it gets nearer to Dec.  I do prefer to book early and not have the panic / rush later.  Looking forward to my first UK Christmas with family in 10 years.  Hope you find a good deal

Rita

Thanks for the responses, I just saw this morning qantus flights from 09/12 - 03/01 for $1,400ish so gong to book it up, and try my hardest not to check into Sky Scanner again to check prices, I know it serves no purpose but I'm terrible for it!

Snifter: great advice to look at the same dates for a month before and compare prices, puts the increase over Christmas into context which makes it more palatable.

Ancient brits: you must be excited for the first trip back in 10 years! Christmas feels a way off but will come round quick, I will have only been here about 18 months when I go back but we had a baby here so looking forward to introducing him to the family. 

Thanks again

7 hours ago, EJMac said:

Thanks for the responses, I just saw this morning qantus flights from 09/12 - 03/01 for $1,400ish so gong to book it up, and try my hardest not to check into Sky Scanner again to check prices, I know it serves no purpose but I'm terrible for it!

Snifter: great advice to look at the same dates for a month before and compare prices, puts the increase over Christmas into context which makes it more palatable.

Ancient brits: you must be excited for the first trip back in 10 years! Christmas feels a way off but will come round quick, I will have only been here about 18 months when I go back but we had a baby here so looking forward to introducing him to the family. 

Thanks again

Sounds good. 

Check the layover times for the Qantas flights (unless its one of those new direct ones from Perth). Just to make sure you are not stuck in an airport for hours waiting to catch the next flight. 

Also book your seats so you get the bulkhead and sky cot. Qantas sky cots have always been my favourite to use for babies when flying. However, they do book out early. And prepare yourself for flying with a baby. I'd suggest a good sling if you don't already use one so you can be hands free and move around the plane with baby if need be. And during transfers. They are amazing when travelling and save so much stress if baby is used to them and can either snuggle in or look out at the world a bit.