Dog and Cat Foster Carers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

We do have a few members who find themselves in the position of having to

a) Leave their pets in the UK 

b)Leave their pets in Australia

for a short period of time before they ship them over to join the rest of the family.

We also have families who may not be able to afford sending their pet and come up with the decision to sell/adopt to another family. Once they have done this they may realise the move isn’t for them and return home after a few months and regret parting with their furry friend.

Another example is people who may want to import a dog from a specific breeder overseas but need them to stay with someone to do the quarantine side.

If any members would be interested in being a foster parent please add your name below, stating whether you would prefer a dog or cat, small or large breed, puppy or adult and how long you can keep them for, ie 2 weeks - 6 months etc.

Please note any agreement/payment you come to would be between you and the owner and I suggest getting something in writing. 

‘It could work for both parties, those who want to care for a dog temporarily, those who may move around themselves and can’t adopt their own dog as they can’t provide them with a long term commitment, those who need emergency help etc.

Guest The Pom Queen

I will start

We can keep up to 1 dog or 1 cat at a time, our nearest airport is Brisbane.

Pref 3 months max

• 1 month later...

I've just seen this post as haven't been online for months and months.  What a great idea.  Not sure if there is a need from England to Australia but if so we would consider assisting with 1 dog or 1 cat at a time. 

We are about 1.5 hrs to Heathrow, 1.5hrs from Birmingham, 1hr from Stansted. 

• 5 months later...

There is a need from England to Australia. We messed up on our dog - she has only just had the rabies test and we are due to go to Sydney on 13th January - we urgently need someone to look after her for 4 and a bit months- we have asked family and friends and no-one can help  - we are getting desperate. She is a gorgeous 1 year old cockapoo very affectionate and sociable- she is pretty bouncy but mellowing with age- she is used to children  (my son is heartbroken) - we are in Surrey but will travel

3 hours ago, suesmalls said:

Is there a 6 month wait time after rabies vaccination before you can take your dog? We moved from Australia 18 months ago with 2 cats and 6 weeks before we left was the minimum. 

Really hope you find a carer of that is the case.  Best wishes.

6 months from rabiex test (which is at least 3 weeks after the vaccination) if moving to Australia - UK is more relaxed- I think it is because the UK allows more freedom of travel with EU where not all countries had the same rabies free status. I expect post Brexit it will change but too late for us

• 5 months later...

I'm also going through this predicament. I feel a bit sick only just realising that you can use rabies test results from up to 2 years before the pet flies. Had I have known this, I would have got everything sorted well in advance.

We now fly out on 27th July as I've got a job to start and my cat won't even get her rabies results for another 3 weeks, meaning she can't fly until approximately 4.5 months after we leave (and that's if she passes the test). I now have the predicament that I don't know whether it is kinder to look for a new home for her, instead of putting her through the trauma of a 4.5 stay in a new house, then the flight, then 10 days' quarantine and finally a 3 hour car journey to Warrnambool from Melbourne (she hates being in the car)...

I feel sick about the whole thing :-(