Singles Living in Melbourne/Brisbane (not a dating post!)

Goofy2018

Hi, just wondering whether there are any single people on here living in Melbourne or Brisbane.

A lot of posters appear to have families so naturally their needs/wants are different from a single person's needs/wants.

Do you like living where you are? Why/why not? How do you find the cost of living? What sort of things did you do to make friends in your city? Do you feel safe going out alone at night? What is dating like in your city? Do you know any places where you can go to alone and not feel weird (bars, restaurants etc.).

I'm not a singleton but I'd say Melbourne is good for singles because of the public transport.  Unlike some cities, you're not going to have to walk miles to get to a bus stop or tram stop, and the buses and trams are generally clean and safe.  There are all-night services, too.   

The main thing is to check whether you can afford to live in the right area.  As a single, you'll want to live in Brunswick East, Fitzroy, Westgarth, Northcote.  Those are suburbs where you'll be among other singles and (more importantly) they are suburbs which still have an active main street with shops and restaurants.   Find an apartment close to the main street and you'll feel safe getting home at night, instead of getting off the tram in a leafy dormitory suburb and having to walk down deserted streets.

As for how to meet people - I assume you're familiar with Meetup.com.   

You could also look at https://www.melbournesocial.com.au/ 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not a singleton but I'd say Melbourne is good for singles because of the public transport.  Unlike some cities, you're not going to have to walk miles to get to a bus stop or tram stop, and the buses and trams are generally clean and safe.  There are all-night services, too.   

The main thing is to check whether you can afford to live in the right area.  As a single, you'll want to live in Brunswick East, Fitzroy, Westgarth, Northcote.  Those are suburbs where you'll be among other singles and (more importantly) they are suburbs which still have an active main street with shops and restaurants.   Find an apartment close to the main street and you'll feel safe getting home at night, instead of getting off the tram in a leafy dormitory suburb and having to walk down deserted streets.

As for how to meet people - I assume you're familiar with Meetup.com.   

You could also look at https://www.melbournesocial.com.au/ 

Yeah those are some of the suburbs I've been thinking of. I would like to be within walking distance from shops, cafes, restaurants etc. and in an area where there are always people around. I'd like to have a few regular hangouts where I can go to alone and not feel awkward, just somewhere to go when I want to get out of the apartment. 

Most of the fun things I'm interested in are in the CBD and/or inner city.

Rent would have to be under $400 per week and it would have to be somewhere insulated and with reverse cycle aircon. 

I've always loved Melbourne public transport. So easy to get around, especially on the trams.