Medicare and 820 - is that really possible to apply now?

TheWayOfThePony

Hello!

I'm in Australia on a bridging visa; I've just applied for my Spouse Visa 820. I won't be eligible for 801 for another two years and as a French citizen  I don't qualify for the reciprocal agreement (I was a resident in the UK for the past 14 years, but not sure that makes a difference)

It was my (possibly mistaken) understanding that I would be eligible for Medicare as soon as I applied for the 820, however looking into it I found this:

"Permanent residency applicants

For each person you want to enrol, you need to give us a:

• passport, travel document or Immicard
  • valid visa, and
  • proof from the Department of Home Affairs you’ve submitted a valid permanent residency application

This includes you if you’ve applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801. You’re eligible for Medicare the date you applied for permanent residency, not the date your temporary visa 820 was granted. If you applied outside Australia, you’re eligible the date you arrived in Australia."

(source:https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/how-enrol-or-re-enrol-medicare#a3)

I can't see anything else that applies to my case (temporary resident). Does it mean I'm not eligible for Medicare after all? (gulp)

Thank you for any tip/clarification!!

Edited by TheWayOfThePony
added info

On 01/03/2018 at 15:07, snifter said:

Can you not apply and see? 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/visa/medicare

Go into an office and have a talk with one of their staff about it. I am sure they could look in to it for you.

Yes that is the link I started from. But I'm a bit stuck  with the application form as my case (i.e. currently waiting for my temporary visa to be granted) doesn't seem to fit the boxes (you need to be a citizen or a permanent resident/applying for a permanent residency etc).

I thought about calling/dropping by, yes, but I remember reading that staff are not necessarily aware of who has a right to register for medicare, and that some people really had to insist. But they might have been at the 801/PR stage already (so, further down the line), I can't remember.

So I was hoping somebody in a similar situation could share their experience.