Spouses English skills...help please

RaT

We will be applying for a 175 Visa soon. Under section D of the application, when listing spouses details, it asks about their English language skills, ie what level, as my wife is not originally from England and doesn't hold a British Passport, she is not automatically assessed as having functional English. She has lived and worked here in the UK in a solicitors office for over 11 years. If I state that she has 'Better than functional' English ability, would they require any additional proof? Or would the fact that she has lived and worked in the uK for some years be enough. (also her native country does have English as a main Language) Or would she be required to sit the IELTS exam (rather than pay the 'second visa fee'). Could we just tick the box and see what the CO asks for, and do the IELTS exam later if required?

Sorry if its a bit long winded...hope someone can help..!

Guest arentol

RaT,

Please check out this page, which explains English language responsibilities for 175 Secondary Applicants (your wife):

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

As you'll notice, there are a few different options available to pass this requirement, not just IELTS.

My wife and I are in a similar situation:

We just applied for the 475 State Sponsored visa and also have the same requirement. My wife is a Filipina and I am an American. All of her education was taught in English, so we included the following evidence:

• Statutory Declaration: stating my wife's English-language abilities and referenced the attached evidence (see below).

• Certified university transcript (all written in English)

• Certified copy of her diploma (all written in English)

Hopefully this will be enough to pass this requirement! Hope this helps!

Aren -

Guest Scamp1976

Don't take risks , have her sit the IELTS. Even with 'bad' english, you can still get 6's.

A tip : Google -> IELTS.Pack torrent

Real useful stuff in there, training exams, tips and advice etc.

Many thanks for the replies. The reason we asked was partly because we seem to remember a conversation some time ago with an agent who said that if we say on the form that she has good English, then the CO would basically look at her country of origin, and work history etc and make a decision whether her English is good enough or not based on that. As mentioned probably best if she does the IELTS exam first as it should be fairly easy to get the required mark and its cheper than the 'second visa fee' !!

Guest Scamp1976

yep. Don't do the 'Academic IELTS' though, just the 'Basic IELTS' one for migration purposes. Don't make it harder than it already is :D

( me and o/h will do Academic since we want to study there too , but we'll see how hard it really is... I'll keep you posted, we're going 5 July for the test :) ) And after the test, we're eating out ofcourse !

RaT there is no need for her to sit the IELTS. If she has been here for 11 years and her English is fine then you will just have to submit the evidence to prove that she is working (work references from her employer) in an English speaking environment, and, as Arentol said, any qualifications she has obtained here in the meantime.

If the case officer still has a problem then there will be time to do the IELTS. But from what you said I think she should be fine.

Thanks again for the replies. She has been working for some years in a solicitors office (in the UK) dealing with land conveyancing, house purchase and sales etc. She can easily get letters from here solicitor boss to confirm this. However she has no qualifications obtained in the UK (therefore in English). Perhaps the thing to do is get letters from the boss, apply and see what happens!

Archived