changing from pte to ielts test

Move2oz

Hi my problem is, i have sat the PTE academic test 3 times now and scored miserably in the speaking every time. I need band 7 or above in the ielts or 65+  in the PTE in all aspects which i have got 65+ all 3 times in the listening reading and writing. So i am sitting the ielts in a couple of weeks and hoping to get 7's or above to give me the extra 10 points i need for my 190 visa. To be honest i thought the Pte would be a better option for me with you having to talk to a microphone rather than a person, i thought it would be less nerve racking, but the truth is i found it really hard talking about graphs and retelling lectures etc.

So my question is........ has anybody failed the pte speaking and found ielts alot easier ? what are your experiences? And any tips would be appreciated thankyou. 

20 minutes ago, Move2oz said:

Hi my problem is, i have sat the PTE academic test 3 times now and scored miserably in the speaking every time. I need band 7 or above in the ielts or 65+  in the PTE in all aspects which i have got 65+ all 3 times in the listening reading and writing. So i am sitting the ielts in a couple of weeks and hoping to get 7's or above to give me the extra 10 points i need for my 190 visa. To be honest i thought the Pte would be a better option for me with you having to talk to a microphone rather than a person, i thought it would be less nerve racking, but the truth is i found it really hard talking about graphs and retelling lectures etc.

So my question is........ has anybody failed the pte speaking and found ielts alot easier ? what are your experiences? And any tips would be appreciated thankyou. 

Hi, I did PTE first time round and got silly stupid marks in speaking. So, after some research, decided to do IELTS. I need 8 on each section to get the 20 point for the language test.

I have done IELTs 3 times now - and it is just crazy. In the first 2 tests I got 9 and 8.5 on the speaking, and the same on listening and reading. However, writing came in at 7.5 both times.

My 3rd attempt I finally got 8 on the writing, but 7.5 on speaking (R and W above 8). On this occassion I have decided to contest it, so now I am waiting to see what they come back with. But that takes another 8 weeks.

I am at such a low point with these tests, that I am considering the PTE again, even though it clearly did not suit me.

So, I can not really give you a clear answer, I personally prefer the structure of the IELTs exam, but do believe it is pot luck and possibly a money making scheme.

However, I do think you will get a better score with IELTS speaking, speaking to a human was easier for me.

Good luck with your journey, hope you can get the scores you need!

1 hour ago, RheaMARN1171933 said:

It's possible your learning style might be suited for IELTS then. I do have clients who had similar situation like you so perhaps it's worth giving it a try. Good luck

Hi, what do you refer to when you say 'worth giving ot a try'? The remark or PTE?

Hi thanks for your reply, I’m really hoping I pass this time because I can’t possibly do any more revising than I’m doing ! I’m just not a academic person at all I’m definitely more hands on/practical. I’ve already passed both parts of my skills assessment, so this is really holding me up. Thanks for your comment ?

33 minutes ago, Move2oz said:

Hi thanks for your reply, I’m really hoping I pass this time because I can’t possibly do any more revising than I’m doing ! I’m just not a academic person at all I’m definitely more hands on/practical. I’ve already passed both parts of my skills assessment, so this is really holding me up. Thanks for your comment ?

No worries!

Good luck with your test, if you remember, let me know how you get on, it is good to hear there are similar situations out there!

40 minutes ago, RheaMARN1171933 said:

IELTS, I meant. these 2 tests are delivered differently so you may find you are comfortable with one than the other. Honestly, the physical, mental and emotional conditions of the examinee has great impact on the actual results...it's not all about your English knowledge.

Ok, understand what you mean now. Let's hope that the examiner doing my remark is in a good emotional state!

Out of intrest, have you had any clients that has had a remark on their IELTS and it was successful?

7 minutes ago, JH_2017 said:

Ok, understand what you mean now. Let's hope that the examiner doing my remark is in a good emotional state!

Out of intrest, have you had any clients that has had a remark on their IELTS and it was successful?

It's not uncommon to retake either tests and usually the scores get better due to the fact that the examinee gets more relaxed in the process.