WHV Insurance Advice

meharvey1

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to Oz Feb 19th 2018 with our WHVs and are looking for advice on travel and health insurance.

We've been looking at the Medicare Reciprocal Health Care Programme and wondered if anyone has had experience using it, and if it is adequate enough as health insurance cover for the year?

We've also been looking at combined travel/health care with colombus direct (recommended by the visa bureau), which is priced at £495.

If the Medicare cover is enough, do people recommend a basic 'gadget' travel insurance for our cash etc, rather than getting the combined insurance (which has rather large figures!)

Thanks

Megan

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a look at Go Walkabout. The main thing you need to be wary of is ambulance costs, depending on which state you are in you could be paying thousands for an ambulance 

STA are another for back packers. I’ve used them for years now without issue. 

Its worth having insurance as things like ambulance cover, repatriation and also personal belongings can be covered. All worthwhile if backpacking IMHO. We 

Thanks guys!

Medicare doesn't cover repatriation and ambulance cover, which was my main concern. So it might be worth getting a combined travel/medical insurance by the sounds of it, rather than just relying on Medicare (which I can sign up for anyway). Any more recommendations for cheap insurance is welcome. 

Also, if anyone else has done a WHV and bought insurance it would be really useful to know what kinda ballpark figure I can expect to pay for 1 years medical and travel insurance (if they dont mind sharing)

Thanks again

Insurance will vary as to the package you are after and you. What one may pay isn't what another with a pre existing condition might. 

I'd just check the couple mentioned above, call or go online for a quote to get an idea. Then its specific to you.