Motorcycle shipping... UK to Aus

dream2017

I cant recommend companies as we have done it in full containers in the past. Im assuming you are up to date with the legalities of importing a bike ? When it arrives it can be very hit and miss, you can get a Customs officer that will inspect every inch for a speck of dirt or another will give it no more than a cursory glance. The most important thing is the paperwork. How are you planning on shipping it ? In a crate ? If do look into a shipping crate from a big main dealer, preferably a steel one. 

@bristolman Yeah the bike is pre 1989 so should be straight forward enough to get an import permit and I have all paperwork to hand as its road legal/roadworthy.

I was in touch with one company who loads several bikes into shipping containers and secures them with straps/ blocks etc and their containers are only loaded with bikes... good reviews and good pricing but unfortunately they don't have any containers going over for a few months... which is no good to me.

I suppose my only other option is to have it crate shipped... would i need to apply for the import permit myself or will the shipping company assist with the process? also do you know how long it takes to process an import permit application?

Thanks

I recently imported my pre 89 bike long with my household goods, This was into South Australia so other states may have different rules, best to check with their transport authorities. It was very clean, with no visible dirt even on the tyres. I had the Import Authority granted in my name and I processed the paperwork, bit of a time consuming process, mine was held up in customs for a couple of weeks when it arrived as they were short of inspectors or that is what they said. They had to do a valuation report and duly charged for it and there were other charges relating to the import. Mine was in a closed wooden container for safety, just in case anything broke loose in the container and hit it. A lot depends on who inspects it and handles it in the customs, not all are used to "old" bikes. I also had to arrange transport from the docks to home as the shipping company wanted it empty of oil and fuel and the battery would probably have been flat after being in the container for 4 months. We used Pearsons to coordinate the whole move, household and bikes, no real problems, they actually made the crate on site to fit the bike.