Which account to open

Mrshubs

Hello everyone. I want to inquire about bank account if anyone could help.
I am in AU on 309 partner visa. As I want to open my bank account this could be needed for my Medicare card. As I am living here as a housewife. What would be the best option for bank account for me? Current, saving or what?
Kindly help.
Thanks
Kind regards.

I think you'd need to discuss with the bank. Some accounts may require a certain amount to be paid in each month (ie a salary) and others may not. 

Can you not go on a joint account with your partner? Do you have funds that would go in to an account if not? Savings? 

• 3 weeks later...

We went with Westpac Migrant Banking and didn't have to have any income, just $1 to open account. We opened it online from UK then spoke to their migrant banking team before we left and collected our bank cards in London.  They also set up a GBP account to sit alongside our AUD one. We can transfer funds free of charge from our Barclays account to our GBP/AUD accounts with Westpac. No transfer fees at all and we've found this to be so useful!!! 

• Like 1