Advice required - Applying for 461 visa whilst on student visa

mark1988

Hi All,

I am currently on a student visa which is due to expire mid 2018. I have finished one year of study and have been accepted and am due to go on to start the cert 4 of the course in February. ( there was a 6 month extension of the course for everyone to gain work experience in order to have a work experience book signed to get the qualification ) . 

I strongly do not want to do the next course as I have no interest in the particular course and don't see how it will benefit me in any way. the course is 15,000 dollars and I would have to study 3 full days a week, which was the same as last year and a huge struggle to make ends meet with working part time and everything else. 

I have been with my partner ( New Zealand citizen )  since June last year so almost a year and a half, we have been officially living together since January, we registered our relationship in January and have had a joint bank account for well over a year. Have plenty of evidence of a genuine relationship like photos together at family events like weddings, Christmas, birthdays etc etc. 

We decided to apply for a 461 visa, have filled out both forms and started gathering evidence, all I need to do now is send off for a uk police check and should be everything we need. 

I am a bit confused and concerned about what I should do in this situation. Given that I don't want to do the next course that starts in February, should I apply for 461 and cancel my student visa ? I have been told by someone that If I do this I will have my visa denied because they will think I wasn't a genuine student or something. This obviously worries me a lot because I have been a genuine student and am working in the trade I have studied so there is no doubt that studying has helped me to get further with my trade and also to contribute towards australias economy. The next course however will not benefit me in the same way.  What is my best option in this situation? 

Also, I have my 30th birthday coming up in February which my mother has said she wants to get me a flight home for my birthday and come home and see my family, my partner is supposed to be coming too. Am I going to run into troubles given that i will likely either be on a bridging visa then or having to study the course that I don't want to be studying as it begins in February ? Hopefully I can apply for the bridging visa that allows me to travel, if I can get off of the student visa.  

Can anyone help ? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

6 hours ago, mark1988 said:

Hi All,

I am currently on a student visa which is due to expire mid 2018. I have finished one year of study and have been accepted and am due to go on to start the cert 4 of the course in February. ( there was a 6 month extension of the course for everyone to gain work experience in order to have a work experience book signed to get the qualification ) . 

I strongly do not want to do the next course as I have no interest in the particular course and don't see how it will benefit me in any way. the course is 15,000 dollars and I would have to study 3 full days a week, which was the same as last year and a huge struggle to make ends meet with working part time and everything else. 

I have been with my partner ( New Zealand citizen )  since June last year so almost a year and a half, we have been officially living together since January, we registered our relationship in January and have had a joint bank account for well over a year. Have plenty of evidence of a genuine relationship like photos together at family events like weddings, Christmas, birthdays etc etc. 

We decided to apply for a 461 visa, have filled out both forms and started gathering evidence, all I need to do now is send off for a uk police check and should be everything we need. 

I am a bit confused and concerned about what I should do in this situation. Given that I don't want to do the next course that starts in February, should I apply for 461 and cancel my student visa ? I have been told by someone that If I do this I will have my visa denied because they will think I wasn't a genuine student or something. This obviously worries me a lot because I have been a genuine student and am working in the trade I have studied so there is no doubt that studying has helped me to get further with my trade and also to contribute towards australias economy. The next course however will not benefit me in the same way.  What is my best option in this situation? 

Also, I have my 30th birthday coming up in February which my mother has said she wants to get me a flight home for my birthday and come home and see my family, my partner is supposed to be coming too. Am I going to run into troubles given that i will likely either be on a bridging visa then or having to study the course that I don't want to be studying as it begins in February ? Hopefully I can apply for the bridging visa that allows me to travel, if I can get off of the student visa.  

Can anyone help ? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Might be best to run it past an agent.

If you cancel your student visa you could end up in oz unlawfully. If you apply for the 461 then a Bridging Visa A will kick in when your existing visa expires. It must expire though, not be cancelled If it is cancelled, so is the bridging visa.

Once you are on the Bridging Visa A, if you need to travel you would then have to apply for a Bridging Visa B

Archived