Bridging Visa query

Evel1184

Hi all

Just thinking ahead re bridging visas and wanted to hear thoughts from others so I am prepared and in the know for when the time comes.

I am from the UK and am currently on an e-visitor visa which expires on 15 July 2018.  I have two trips to NZ planned at present so that I can reset my 90 day counter on this visa and stay within the rules of the visa until at least 31 March 2018 – first trip is 20 November (2 days) and second trip is 28 December (6 days).

I have submitted my EOI for a 189 visa as Accountant General with 75 points.  Should an invitation arrive, I am pretty much ready to upload everything and submit the application, however, I don’t want an application submission to scupper my travel plans at New Years.

So, as I understand it, at the point of applying for the 189 visa, I will be automatically granted Bridging Visa A (BVA) which allows me to stay until my 189 application processing is completed.  However, this visa will NOT become active until my e-visitor visa expires.

As far as I see it then, I can continue to travel on my e-visitor visa as originally planned and be safe in the knowledge that come 15 July 2018, my e-visitor visa ceases and I can stay in Australia on the BVA which replaces/supercedes the e-visitor.  Obviously, if and when I get granted the 189 visa, I can simply forget about the BVA and e-visitor (I think).

I am concerned that my above understanding is incorrect meaning that I cannot leave the country unless I get Bridging Visa B (BVB).  Having my current e-visitor visa replaced by a BVA would not be the worst thing in the world but would scupper my NYE plans and make it hard for me if I urgently needed to go home to the UK for a family emergency.

Furthermore, when it comes to rights to work, I understand from one website that once I have applied for the skilled migration visa (s189) I can work in Australia if I am on a BVA or BVB.  This would be excellent news but I am not sure my understanding is correct so would appreciate someone giving me some advice here.  Lastly, re this right to work query, I think I would need to find a way of voiding/ceasing/cancelling my current e-visitor visa as that visa is what I understand to be the active visa and this does not allow me to work (ps I don't think I can do this as cancelling my current e-visitor visa would cause my "bridge" to collapse as the bridging visa would disappear with my e-visitor visa).

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice offered!

A