Area Advice...

Shazzi

We are finally officially on the last stretch...we have sold the house, put all our stuff in storage till the container is scheduled to go, booked the flights for the 20th August and are now looking for some short term accomodation for 3 months till our own stuff arrives. We have looked on the web & seen 2 bed/2 bathroom fully furnished apartments in Auchenflower and also one in Newstead that have lovely pools and are within a budget of $600 pw max - does anyone know what these 2 areas are like? Are they safe to walk around and can I easily get to my job in the CBD via bus/train/ferry? Are there any parks near by that my wee boy can play in?

If anyone can help it would be a great help...its all so exciting!!!!

Guest AussieinLeeds

Shazzi,

I can tell you about BrisVegas - as I grew up there. I can also tell you about Auchenflower as I lived there for about 4 yrs.

Auchenflower is inner city, you've got no worries getting to work in town. I used to rid my bike in as there's a bike path that goes along the river all the way into town. That path though is getting really busy - lots of people are riding, and the next bit tells you why ...

Don't bother with buses - they are horrible. Coronation Drive is the main drag that goes through Auchenflower into the city and buses go regularly along this route. But they always packed to the hilt - I hate them I never bothered to even try to catch them.

Auchenflower has a train station and trains come every 20 mins during non-peak time, and more frequent during peak times. They're not too bad - can get a quite crowded but nothing as bad as the bus.

Ferry is OK. You can walk from anywhere in Auchenflower to Toowong ferry terminal at the Regatta Hotel. I occasionally went for a ferry instead of riding but it was a bit of a walk from the ferry terminal in the city to my office.

The suburb is more for Yuppies than families. You'll find alot of units in the area. But there is two nice parks that I can think of. One is where the West rugby club is and the other is where I think it's Toowong soccer club. I remember kids had soccer games on the weekends and there would be alot of parents out watching them play at the soccer club - but I don't think the kids are local - I don't remember see many kids.

Now for Newstead ...

I don't know Newstead all that well but I had friends that lived in neighbouring Teneriffe. The Teneriffe area has been revitalised over the last 5 - 10 yrs or so from a industrial area into a trendy cafe, apartment living area. I'd expect Newstead to be a kind of a trendy inner city type area - starting to become a bit more residential than Teneriffe though. You'll find it's pretty busy around there with the Kingsford Smith Dr being the main drag into the city and out to the airport.

I'm just looking at the map and Newstead is kind of sandwiched in between Wickham St and the river. You really don't want to be going on the Bowen Hills side of Wickham St - Bowen Hills is not really a residential area, part light industry / part apartments. Put it into perspective, the state government changed the legislation a few years ago to allow for Brothels in light industry type areas of Brisbane and the first legal state brothel was opened in Bowen Hills.

Getting really long so I'll be quick - recommend ... Rosalie, pockets of Kelvin Grove / Herston, pockets of Toowong, Newmarket, Hawthorne / Bulimba, Yeronga, Taringa, Chelmar / Graveville.

Good luck - oh get ready for some badddddd traffic!!!

Thanks AussieinLeeds...super helpful! You surely must be finding it a massive culture living in Leeds...a bit of a difference. Being a Yorkshire lass but now living in Scotland and obviously about to move to Brisvegas I know where I would rather be!!

Thanks for the tips, I may be bugging you again for further advice later down the line

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrisbaneReturners

600 pw is a very very very expensive.. we rent in wishart (about 5 min from the city) and we pay 360 pw for a townhouse in a secure complex with a pool tennis court etc.. it's lovely.. we have our own garden etc.. and it's all looked after.. i'd look around southside as you as northside is very expensive.

...and is that for a fully furnished place??

We seem to be strugling for 2 reasons...1. we are looking for fully furnished and the majority of rentals are unfurnished and 2. we only want a 12 week lease as we only need a fully furnished aprtment until our furniture arrives by freight, which they estimate will take 10-12 weeks.

Everything we look at that falls under these 2 categories seems to in the $500-650 pw bracket - we have looked at the suburbs too, as long as I can jump on a train or bus and am no more than a 15 mins commute I could live with that, but nothing seems to be coming up.

I have just been looking at the new Gabba central complex, does anyone know if this area is ok? Safe for kids or is it noisy?

Also looked at the new dockside apartments at Hamilton Portside Wharf complex - does anyone know what they are like?

If you do know any realtors that charge less but can stil offer a nice 12 week fully furnished rental in a nice area with a pool for less than $500 pw please pass me their contact details asap!!!

Guest sheena

hi ya, have a look at TOOWONG VILLA'S we stayed there when we first landed, lovely place, fully furnished, can have 2/3 beds, pool, charge about 520 per week, but im sure for 12 weeks they will come down in price! its got train station, parks, shops, really nice area! worth a look!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest BrisbaneReturners
...and is that for a fully furnished place??

We seem to be strugling for 2 reasons...1. we are looking for fully furnished and the majority of rentals are unfurnished and 2. we only want a 12 week lease as we only need a fully furnished aprtment until our furniture arrives by freight, which they estimate will take 10-12 weeks.

Everything we look at that falls under these 2 categories seems to in the $500-650 pw bracket - we have looked at the suburbs too, as long as I can jump on a train or bus and am no more than a 15 mins commute I could live with that, but nothing seems to be coming up.

I have just been looking at the new Gabba central complex, does anyone know if this area is ok? Safe for kids or is it noisy?

Also looked at the new dockside apartments at Hamilton Portside Wharf complex - does anyone know what they are like?

If you do know any realtors that charge less but can stil offer a nice 12 week fully furnished rental in a nice area with a pool for less than $500 pw please pass me their contact details asap!!!

no that's for an unfurnished townhouse which has 3 bedrooms, ensuite in main bedroom, bathroom for the other rooms and toilet downstairs plus lock up garage and laundry and patio area with garden. you'd be hard pressed to find furnished rentals in australia as they don't do them much.. if you're paying 600 pw for a fully furnished place i'd think long and hard about it.. we got our furniture here and it's very cheap.. we kitted out our house with furniture (including the kids rooms) for 1700 dollars so think about how much you're going to spend each week just to 'rent' furniture..it's a waste of money. re you sending your furniture.. if you haven't alreayd DON'T it's a total waste of money as a) you can get everything you need here and it's cheap! b) we sent our boxes of goods in april and still haven't got them! you could be waiting much much longer for your stuff than expected due to any number of delays.. it's not worth the cost and time you have to wait.. only send stuff that is important to you or you really don't want to buy again.. furniture such as beds/sofa/washing machine etc etc you can get here at great prices and this gives you a lot of options for renting as you're not wasting money on a 6 month lease renting somebody elses furniture. you really need to expand your search so seriously think about not sending your furniture and just buying it when you get here.. you can stay in holiday accommodation for a week when you first arrive and buy all the bits you need then move into rented and it will all come together quite quickly for you. you can get lovely 3-4 bedroom townhouses with log up, on secure complexes, 5 min from city by bus from a lot of southside suburbs.. look at wishart, upper mt gravatt, mt gravatt, holland park, stones corner, cooparoo, anything close to the south east freeway as we have an express shuttle service for buses so they just jump on and off the freeway to the city so it's really fast esp at peak times as they have their own bus way so no cars!

Archived