Travelling

john.rabey

Hey John,

I assume you are coming as a backpacker?

A couple of tips,

• late Nov - end Jan can be tough to find work in the cities, with the build up to Xmas and Summer holidays, things tend to go very quiet so if you are looking for work when you arrive, either come earlier or mid Jan
  • Perth is struggling for work at the moment and is damn expensive for booze (very important for backpackers :))
  • most people do a stint in one of the cities (mostly Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane), work and save money to travel
  • It gets hot & humid up north in summer, many people do NSW, Vic, SA during summer and then start heading north in winter (from about April on - basically follow the sun and temps of high 20's to mid 30's).  Having said that Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide can all experience 40+ days in Summer too.
  • The main backpacker circuit tends to be the East coast of Australia, Sydney to Cairns.  Popular backpacker spots/attractions along the way - Byron bay, Noosa, Hervey bay/Fraser Island, Airlie beach (whit Sundays), Cairns.  Back in the day, I did a surfari trip from Sydney to Byron which was awesome - camping and surfing at different spots over a week.  Great way to meet fellow travellers and see off the beaten track.
  • Another circuit is the Great ocean road (Melbourne to Adelaide or vice versa)
  • Other atrractions - Uluru - Kings Canyon, Darwin as the gateway to Kakadu national park
  • Lots of providers doing organised trips and tours which help you meet people, Traveller Contact point is a good place to check out options, it's in the Dymocks building on George st in Sydney (near the QVB)

That's it off the top of my head.

Enjoy it, you'll have a blast 

Guest The Pom Queen

Agree with what @Collie has suggested except I would say that if you are a backpacker you are going to be looking for casual work so you should be absolutely fine in the Christmas period if your happy with hospitality, tourist or shop work. Obviously if you are looking for office work or you are a tradie then I would agree that Christmas will be quiet work wise.

• 4 weeks later...

Shop around for backpackers insurance. Consider not just the medical aspect but also repatriation and other costs such as baggage insurance etc.

I always used STA over the years and never had any issues. 

Archived