189 partner count towards limitation of partner sponsor?

Gee

Hi,

I got my PR visa through 189 independent skilled migration and a dependent (my ex-girlfriend, de facto partner) had been granted a secondary PR visa at the same time I got mine. She broke up with me as soon as she got her visa.

After years I got married with another girl and sponsored her to get partner visa, but we divorced within 2 yrs, so her visa got cancelled.

I am now living with my new girlfriend and my question is:

If we get married, can I sponsor her to get a partner visa? Will this sponsorship be rejected because I’ve brought two partners?

I am aware of the limitation of partner visa sponsor that I can only sponsor two partners in my lifetime (but this seems to apply to partner visa, not 189 visa dependent?). My new girlfriend is literally the third one I sponsor, but it’s the second time I sponsor someone through partner visa. 

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, Gee said:

Hi,

I got my PR visa through 189 independent skilled migration and a dependent (my ex-girlfriend, de facto partner) had been granted a secondary PR visa at the same time I got mine. She broke up with me as soon as she got her visa.

After years I got married with another girl and sponsored her to get partner visa, but we divorced within 2 yrs, so her visa got cancelled.

I am now living with my new girlfriend and my question is:

If we get married, can I sponsor her to get a partner visa? Will this sponsorship be rejected because I’ve brought two partners?

I am aware of the limitation of partner visa sponsor that I can only sponsor two partners in my lifetime (but this seems to apply to partner visa, not 189 visa dependent?). My new girlfriend is literally the third one I sponsor, but it’s the second time I sponsor someone through partner visa. 

Many thanks!

You did not sponsor the first one, she was a dependent on your 189, that is totally different and does not count towards the two sponsorships you are allowed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm in a slightly similar position, i also came to Aus on a 189 skills visa and my partner at the time came with me as a dependent. However, unfortunately we broke up fairly quickly after coming to Australia although she has also stayed in the country. I'm now in a new de facto relationship and my current partner is here on a student visa which expires next year. As such I would like to sponsor her as my partner but am concerned about the five year rule as i brought my previous partner to Australia less than two years ago. Does the limitation on sponsorship apply or not as my original partner came on a 189 dependent visa not on a 801 or 301 visa?

would really appreciate advice.

many thanks

5 minutes ago, Joe11 said:

Hi,

I'm in a slightly similar position, i also came to Aus on a 189 skills visa and my partner at the time came with me as a dependent. However, unfortunately we broke up fairly quickly after coming to Australia although she has also stayed in the country. I'm now in a new de facto relationship and my current partner is here on a student visa which expires next year. As such I would like to sponsor her as my partner but am concerned about the five year rule as i brought my previous partner to Australia less than two years ago. Does the limitation on sponsorship apply or not as my original partner came on a 189 dependent visa not on a 801 or 301 visa?

would really appreciate advice.

many thanks

The limit on sponsoirship of a spouse applies only when you SPONSOR a spouse.

If your spouse arrives with you on a 189 then they are a dependent, you are NOT sponsoring them. They end up with their own independent visa. 

You are only sponsoring a spouse if you sign sponsorship forms for them to go to Australia as your spouse, either marriedor de facto.

Archived