Cats and creepy crawlies

Guest daveintaiwan

Guest daveintaiwan

I have two energetic bundles of fur, who will chase anything that moves. I have a slight concern that they may get a nasty bite back. What poisonous creepy crawlies are commonly found in Perth suburbs? (I remember having to shake my shoes out when staying with friends in Queensland to make sure there was nothing inside that could give me a good nip!). I know that Funnel Web spiders are only found in the SE, but have heard that you get Red Backs on the West coast. Although Red Backs are not normally fatal for humans, I'm assuming that as cats have a much smaller body size, the effects may be somewhat different.

What is the likelyhood of them encountering anything poisonous? Anyone ever had a cat with a bad encounter?

I know that Funnel Web spiders are only found in the SE, but have heard that you get Red Backs on the West coast.

As a side point, and not addressing your query, there are different kinds of funnel web spiders. The one most people are aware of is the Sydney funnel web, however there are other (less dangerous) types found in more areas of NSW and VIC, as well as QLD. So it's not only the south-east (reference).

Guest Brickie

Anything that bites and kills cats is good.

At least the wildlife will be saved after the bite.....:biglaugh:

Guest daveintaiwan
As a side point, and not addressing your query, there are different kinds of funnel web spiders. The one most people are aware of is the Sydney funnel web, however there are other (less dangerous) types found in more areas of NSW and VIC, as well as QLD. So it's not only the south-east (reference).

map_fweb_east_lge.gif

Map 1: Australia showing distribution of Hadronyche.

Map 2: Australia showing distribution of Atrax.

Wouldn't you call this south-east? Maybe I have my map upside down?

Maybe that's why I was shaking my shoes out in QLD... but my point was that they're not found on the West coast. Thanks for the link, anyway.

Guest daveintaiwan
Anything that bites and kills cats is good.

At least the wildlife will be saved after the bite.....:biglaugh:

Trust me, I'm all for looking after the wildlife. I have cat proof fencing now and will be installing the same when I arrive in Oz... even been looking at some great cat runs that people have built.

Wouldn't you call this south-east? Maybe I have my map upside down?

The first line of the page I linked to says "Funnel-web spiders live in the moist forest regions of the east coast and highlands of Australia from Tasmania to north Queensland."

It also mentions groups of the Hadronyche genus, one being the "anzes group, a single, far northern outlier species in rainforests north of Cairns, north Queensland".

Hiya , You will always get the anti-cat people on here, being a forum people will just speak their mind.

Ok I have looked into this as you can see by my avator I too have a cat , well 2 actually. I also contacted Queensland council as on here there was some very bad posts abt Cats and what people do to them and apparently Aussie law someone on here said that they are allowed to. So before we get any of those type of replies on your thread rest assured it is not legal for people to kill or harm your Cat.

My cousin lives in Queensland and his neighbour has a Cat and they have no problems, but he does not live rural. If you live rural your Cat could be in danger from the local wildlife, but if you are not planning on living rural then your Cat should be fine. The Queensland government just sent me an email to say make sure the Cat where's a reflective collar and a bell on their collar and try and keep the Cat in over night if possible. My Cats dont go out overnight anyway, always called them in since they were kittens, when the kids were called in from play time so were the Cats LOL

Good luck and hopefully your pets will be fine :wubclub:

Guest daveintaiwan
The first line of the page I linked to says "Funnel-web spiders live in the moist forest regions of the east coast and highlands of Australia from Tasmania to north Queensland."

It also mentions groups of the Hadronyche genus, one being the "anzes group, a single, far northern outlier species in rainforests north of Cairns, north Queensland".

Apologies... I just looked at the pretty pictures! :notworthy:

Guest daveintaiwan
The Queensland government just sent me an email to say make sure the Cat where's a reflective collar and a bell on their collar and try and keep the Cat in over night if possible.

The Mammal Society (in the UK) did a survey of 750 cats and what they brought into people's homes to see how cats were predating on the natural wildlife. One of their more interesting findings was that a cat wearing a bell killed just as much as one without. One of the biggest factors was the color of the cat. White cats killed far less than those with better camoflage.

The Mammal Society (in the UK) did a survey of 750 cats and what they brought into people's homes to see how cats were predating on the natural wildlife. One of their more interesting findings was that a cat wearing a bell killed just as much as one without. One of the biggest factors was the color of the cat. White cats killed far less than those with better camoflage.

Interesting and properly right, although mine will and do still wear one anyway.

Archived