Where to stay on arrival

thetunnys

Hey, 

just wondering if if anyone has any ideas on where's cheapest to stay when first arriving.? We lived in Brisbane for five years before returning to the uk in 2015 we are now ready to return to oz but now have two children. When we first moved we stayed with family in Melbourne but of course we don't want to live there we want to return to Brisbane/Gold Coast and don't have family to help out this time. We have been looking at air bnbs which can be reasonable but just wondering if anyone has any cheaper ideas.? 

Many Thanks in advance, 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think airnb and stayz are going to be your cheapest options. There are caravan parks but to be honest they work out as expensive. There are even some good apartments for rent on places like hotels.com, I know when I've been at the hospital if it's an early start I sometimes go down the night before or if I'm allowed day release hubby will come down and stay. You can get 2 bed apartments with roof top pools around woollongabba for around $100 a night. 

Hi when we moved over we stayed at Brisbane Holiday Village ,eight mile plains. It was $520 per week, lovely park and nice and safe - close to the motorway to begin your search for a suitable suburb and home. If you need any help pm me !

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi AlexJD,

Thank you.! To be honest we just can't wait to get back. We had our first child over there before moving back to the uk where we ended up having our second child and the lifestyle over there compared to here well there's just no comparison. Brisbane/Gold Coast is wonderful in so many ways and just amazing for children. Good luck with everything for your move ? 

We're off to Brisbane too! Not our first choice however sounds like we may have made the right one. Love to hear people's positive stories when you all land!

11 hours ago, thetunnys said:

hi Ozzie, 

good luck with everything we love Brisbane/gold coast however didn't like Melbourne after starting off there and staying there for a year. I suppose it depends on what kind of lifestyle your after ? 

Thank you! We're not big fans of Melbourne either. Ok to visit and see friends but not for us to live. Any info or tips on Brisbane greatly appreciated! 

Hi all!

We're heading to Brisbane in the next 6 months too! Most of my family and friends are there and after 16 years in the UK I can't wait to move back. Don't get my wrong, the UK has been excellent to me, but I feel that Oz offers our kids a different lifestyle. I never thought I would manage to convince my husband to do it, but here we are :D.

Good luck with everything!

It's so exciting to ready such posts :)  We have finally applied for an RRV and fingers crossed all will go well and land in Brissy in a couple of months.

We honestly can't wait as love Brissy to bits and I consider it home

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! This is a great/positive thread to read - Husband and I are patiently waiting for our visas and moving to Brisbane too next Spring - well Autumn down there! Looking at AirBnB too, but how long does anyone think is a sensible amount of time to book one for? Don't want to be rushing round like mad things on arrival but equally don't want to be losing out on good looking rentals being tied down to a pre-paid holiday let... Advice welcome!

Thanks in advance, Heidi

It took us nearly a month to secure a rental. This was with one of us working and the other person viewing lots of places during the week. You seem to only be given 10 maximum 15 minutes to view a property and a lot of the time it's random slots during weekdays which makes it tricky for those working. If you have a pet you must have approval not only by the agency but also by the owner and the body Corp (like a factor).  We applied and were accepted by agencies and owners however a few times then declined by the body corp. Seems a silly back to front way of doing it in my opinion. 

Go onto realestate.com.au firstly to glean some information about suburbs. That makes it easier to narrow down the places you want to view. Hiring a car is pretty much essential although we did use a mixture of buses and uber as well. 

Edited by Guest

Hi Ozzie,

wow nearly a month we have never had that happen before we have lived in Melbourne and Brisbane and it only ever took a week after applying.! We already know where we want to live and I have lots of application forms printed and ready to hand in once we have viewed and like what we see I find having everything ready to hand in on the day speeds up the process and helps heaps in securing a rental. And im pretty sure body corp only come into play when it's an apartment complex owned by them as we have a pug and only ever had to have approval off the landlord. Thanks for all your info ☺️

Hi Robbins,

we have booked an air bnb for two weeks to start but we are also prepared to be very busy in them two weeks looking for somewhere to rent. The place where we're staying also gives the option to ask for longer so if worst comes to the worst we just pay for another's week or so until we find somewhere but I think 2-4weeks is reasonable. Hope that helps ?

Hi @thetunnys sounds very organised! Excellent you know where you want to be. The agents we met (roughly 6/7diff ones) all said they preferred online applications (the 1form via realestate.com.au) so they had scanned docs however I'm sure many will accept paper ones as well.

It's definitely not the case, in Queensland anyway that pets have to be approved only if body corp owns the house. On two occasions we had the owner (as in the owner of the property) approval for our cat but ruddy body Corp overruled. People kept telling us to hide the cat, but we're not the type.

Hi Ozzie,

yes I have noticed the f1 form while looking on real estate and to be honest I think that's even easier than paper so that's good to know. Hmm very strange when we lived in Brisbane and we put our pug on the application we was told they would ask the owner they said yes and that was that because it's there property owned by them, body corp is usually the owners of the complex not the property so if you're applying for say a unit or apartment then that's when they come into play and that will be noted in your contract. With just applying for a house we've never had to deal with body corp because they don't have anything to do with the property. The only time we ever dealt with them was in Melbourne when we lived in an apartment.? We lived in Melbourne a year and Brisbane for four.! We never had an issue with putting our dog on applications and was accepted at a few places before deciding which one we wanted. I think it helps he's only small though too I have friends with Labradors and alsatians who have had a bit more difficulty. Never owned a cat so not sure how they feel about that I know there's a rule they must wear a bell or and be in before 10pm because of the birds or something lol. 

Good to hear it's all worked out for you. We fly out on New Year's Eve so very much looking forward too being back ? 

Hi Ozzie and thetunnys! Thanks both so much for your replies - it certainly sounds a lot more complicated than renting here! Good to know about getting some application forms prepped etc and I think we're definitely going to have to factor in a hire car... Yes, I dare say the first few weeks will be manic! But worth it! I'm a regular on realestate lol but trying not too look too much at this point in case we get our heart set on somewhere waaay too prematurely!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hi, 

We ended up booking with AirBnb, spent days checking and could not get better deals. The good ones go away fast, so we booked the place last week even though we will arrive at the end of October.

As for renting long term, many adverts on realestate.com.au said that they dont accept Form1....so we'll see. Defo, the frst 2 weeks will be crazy :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbins said:

d I think we're definitely going to have to factor in a hire car... Yes, I dare say the first few weeks will be manic! But worth it

Hi no probs!

regarding car hire, we shopped around and ended up using Budget rental as they add a second driver for free and have 7day+ rental deals. Also,  you may know about this already however don't take the excess waiver at the hire car place, go online via Google.com.au and search for excess waiver insurance companies i.e. Allianz