UK pension with moving in mind

dilby

Hi all - I'm Australian by birth but moved to the UK at the age of 21 where I've worked self employed for the past 10 years. My wife and I are likely to move back to Australia in the future, and therefore obviously will need to move our pensions. This whole world is very confusing to me, and I can see there have been some major changes recently that unfortunately confuse me even more! But essentially I'm wanting to know if there is a specific type of pension fund I need to be using here that will allow me to move my pension back to Australia, or if it's actually the Australian fund I'm transferring to that needs to be the specific kind.

Our IFA at the time set up a pension for us both 2 years ago, after we stated our requirements. He told us he'd found a QROPS approved account and we paid him to set it up for us. He then promptly dropped off the radar however and the pensions company told us that wasn't accurate info. From what I can read, I can transfer pensions FROM any uk account, but only TO some Australian accounts. 

Is that correct? Any thoughts, experiences welcomed! Thanks so much!