186 direct entry, STSOL and the March 2018 cut off

Just had a chat with one of the guys at the London Immi office about this March 2018 cut off for people applying for Employer Nominated direct entry (186) on the STSOL element of the combined list.

Q1. My first question was whether or not a nomination and visa application had to be submitted by March 2018 or granted by then.

A1. The answer was that as things stand you would be fine as long as you had submitted both by then. However, the caveat was given that anything could happen between now and March 2018.

Q2. Based on the above, was there anything to prevent you entering on a 457 visa to speed things up, and your employer then sponsoring you for direct entry on a 186 by March 2018?

A2. Subject to the same caveat in A1, no there is nothing to prevent this approach.

Q3. With regard to the March 2018 cut off, is the relevant date 1 March or 31 March?

A3. Don’t know, so assume 1 March and therefore suggest working towards 28 February or sooner to avoid issues.

So, nothing conclusive, but at least gives some indication of time lines in the absence of further changes. Just wanted to share as I start out on the process of trying to obtain an employer nomination for direct entry.

One question from me to the forum, if an employer begins the process of a 457 visa, is there anything to stop a 186 application being submitted and running simultaneously, aside from the additional cost?

• Like 1