Partner 309 De Facto Visa Application

skidd71

Hi,

I am 45 years old and my girlfriend is an Australian citizen and we have been seeing each other for 5 years. We are thinking about moving to Oz on the 309 visa but I'm worried about a couple of things. We both own our own flats but have been living together at mine for about 14 months. We don't have any paperwork to prove that however ie phone bills, joint account etc is there any other evidence we can provide that proves cohabitation?

Do you think it is easy enough to do the application yourself or would you use a MARA agent?

Also, I have Epilepsy do you think this would be something that would count against you?

Thanks for any advice

Stevie

• Like 1

Do the bills you do have go to the same address, the one you both live at together? Even if you don't have a joint account if you are both getting bank statements individually to the same address it's useful. Same for any other bills. 

Electoral roll? At the same address? Can you show money moving between your accounts? Named on each other's car insurance? Wills? Life insurance policies? 

Imho the application is pretty simple but if you are light on supporting evidence then you may want to consult a decent migration agent as it's a big chunk of change to throw away. 

Hey snifter thanks for the reply

We don't have anything official coming to my address. Everything like phone bills, electricity etc are still in our names going to our separate addresses. We could show bank transfers between our accounts and open a joint account now but that doesn't show proof for past year say

We do of course have friend statements, facebook that kind of thing but I'm just wondering how we can prove cohabitation?

Doesn't sound like you can. They'll want more than some FB posts and friend statements. Money between accounts is ok but people living apart can transfer money.

Shame you didn't make the change of address more official.

I'd say consult an agent and be prepared to pay for their help. 

Yeah I thought as much

MARA agents roughly 900 pounds

No car so no insurance

Yeah she rents out her appt and for hassle purposes just kept everything still registered there

I'll speak to an agent and see what they say

until then I'll get some documentation transferred over

thanks again

stevie

I've never known other financial evidence from joint bank account, bills at same address, paying for partner on car insurance, etc. Do you have any life insurance or are you named on each others wills?

You are extremely light on this type of evidence to prove your genuine partners. Facebook, photos and stat dec are all fine as evidence per se, but not without solid financial evidence to prove you're a couple. They look for this as a prime indicator that you're a proper couple.

I'd take snifter's advice and maybe obtain some advice from a migration agent to consider your options. 

Edited by Beffers

Thanks Beffers

We will obviously be setting up joint accounts at my address, drivers licence and anything else we can think of but for the past 14 months of cohabitation we have no evidence.

That's why I was asking if they take anything else into consideration?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidd71 said:

Thanks Beffers

We will obviously be setting up joint accounts at my address, drivers licence and anything else we can think of but for the past 14 months of cohabitation we have no evidence.

That's why I was asking if they take anything else into consideration?

I don't think they do, but maybe one of the migration agents will see this thread and comment. DIBP have to be convinced you're a genuine couple, and based on what you've said, I think there would be doubts. Definitely chat to an agent and see what they say. They've probably got experience of exactly this type of scenario and can advise you accordingly. 

17 hours ago, skidd71 said:

Do you know if there is any other evidence they would take into consideration?

Assume she has tenency agreement and tax returns showing she has rented out her place for the last 14 months. Not sure if that would help much as it doesn't prove she lived with you, just that she doesn't live in her place but may help.  She must have bank statements coming to her address, surely not everything would go to an address that has someone else there picking up the post?  Does she have a driving license? If so has she not changed the address on that? (It's an offence not to). 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone

My question is, After 10 months of lodging my defacto/partner visa 309/100 I have been requested to provide my sponsor's police clearance certificate. Can anyone advise me if this means my visa grant is very near? Can someone provide me an estimated time by when I should expect the visa grant??

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz